Question: Chest Pain Right side

tal1815 - Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:22 pm

I'm 27 Years old and for about 5 months I've been have sharp chest pains on the right side. In the beginning It would happen 1 day out of a month for 3 seconds and would go away. I don't believe that the pains are exterme enough to go to the emergency room. This month the pain came back. It's a sharp pain for about 3 seconds and go away and in 2 hours it comes back. I thought that it might be heartburn or gas and I have taken every over the counter medicaiton there is. I also went to my doctor about 2 months ago and told him that I have heartburn and he gave me AcipHex. I have been taking this for 2 months and the pain returns. I'm really confused about what this might be. I don't want to go to the emergency room and they tell me it just gas and I will feel really silly. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.............
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:29 pm

User avatar Dear Tal1815,

What you are describing is not of cardiac origin as it is completely atypical for chest pain of cardiac origin. In addition, females are protected during their child bearing period by their hormones so they don't get heart attacks.

i can not exactly tell you about the reason beind this sharp pain that lasts for such a very short period of time and is intermittent. It could be related to the skin or muscles or a nerve, it could also be related to the membrane surrounding the lung overstretched for a few seconds when you take a deep breath in.

If this pain gets any worth or starts to be longer in duration, i would definitely advise you to go to the er to be checked.

|