Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Weakness in the Heart Muscle

hamidious - Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:47 pm

Hello, I have a father 65, who has a very difficult heart problem.

He had diabetes for a long time. He is slightly overweight now. Occasionally, he has difficulty breathing especially when tilting his head. We always rush him to the hospital when that happen.

Right now, he has difficulty sleeping due to how hard it is to breath when he lays his head. His appetite for food is very downed.

He takes medicine for his heart condition, diabetes, and for his main gland (I'm not sure what it is called). The gland isn't doing its job therefore he feels very lasy and spent if he doesn't take the medicine.

One of the medicines he takes make him want to urinate a lot. He feels embarrassed and so he stops the medicine sometimes. That's when his body fells with liquids and he severly coughs and has phelm, he feels better when the phelm is sucked through a machine.

The doctors said he has a weakness in his heart muscle, all other organs are efficient, but the heart efficiency is at 20% one doctor said. He says the reason for his condition is that the heart has these cells on its surface that detect the blood entering the heart. However, my father has many of these cells gone. The doctor suggested a new medicine that would make the cells inside the heart surface come closer to the surface to improve the heart condition.

His heart can't pump enough blood to the lungs, that's why the doctor says, my father has the difficulty to breathe.

I have two requests: 1) Recommendations suggestions and opinions about this condition And would surgery be helpful? Do you suggest looking for heart donations? Please give answers, and does father need a heart pacer? I don't know what's their use.
2) I want to know what is the best credited hospital around the world to cure this condition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:29 pm

User avatar Dear Hamidious,

Thank you very much for using our website.

It sounds that your father has heart failure according to what you are saying. It sounds alos that he is not compliant with his medications. The reason why he can not breath when he lies down is fluid accumulating in his lungs because his heart can not pump the blood well. So, the best thing to do is to make sure that he gets all his medications on time especially the one that makes him want to urinate a lot as this is the medication that takes the fluid off his body and makes him breath easier.

Your father has to have a heart specialist follow him on regular basis to adjust the doses of his medications. There are new medications that your father is supposed to take to make his heart better. i am not sure about the medications that he takes.

So, if you can get me a list of all the medications that he takes and please if you can get me the scientific names of these medications so that i can tell which medications are missing from his regimen if any.

About heart pacers, patients with a condition called heart block (many degrees and types) need to have a pacer if they fullfil certain conditions. i don't know about your father and whether he has a heart block or not for him to need a pacer.

i am not sure what you mean about heart donation, but my guess is that you are talking about heart transplantation. i am not sure whether there is heart transplantation in Saudi Arabia or not. There is heart transplantation in europe and north america but the waiting lists are so long and many times patients who get heart transplantation don't do well after surgeries because of meany reasons.

And there are lots of good hospitals and centers in the united states that can deal with his condition. Many of these hospitals have an agreement with the Saudi government to treat Saudi citizens so i think you can ask about this in the Saudi health ministry.

My suggestion is that you make sure that your father is on the most recent regimen proven to be effective in heart failure and make sure that he sticks to this regimen and follow up with a good heart specialist.

|