News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Rapid beat lying on right

RJ - Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:19 pm

When I'm lying in bed and roll from my left to my right side my heart pounds very rapidly. If I raise my left arm toward the ceiling it stops. What could be causing this?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:08 pm

User avatar Dear RJ,

How long has this been going on? How long does it last? Is the rhythm that you experience regular or irregular? Does it happen on any other occasions? Do you have any other accompanying symptoms? What happens if you don't raise your left arm? Do you smoke? Do you drink alchohol, lots of coffee, lots of tea? What is your medical background? Do you take any medications on regular basis? Does this happen when you turn to your left side as well?

Palpitations (feeling that one's heart is beating) have many reasons and the answer to some of the above questions might helo point the reason behind what you are complaining of.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and waiting for your response.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 RJ - Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:37 pm

Thank you for replying. The symptoms have existed for a long time. I will last about 30 seconds. Seems to be a regular rythm just fast and strong. I have noticed the symptoms at other times when I change body position. If I don't raise the arm the symptoms continue for the entire 30 seconds. Raising the arm stops the symptoms. I don't smoke or drink and exercise regularly. I am not overweight. I don't drink coffee or tea. I have not had any medical problems in the past. I do sometimes have pain in the rib area not chest but in the side of the ribs.. I am not on any meds. The symptoms occur on the right side only.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:01 pm

User avatar Dear RJ,

Thank you very much for the update.

i can not think of anything that can cause this.

If it is really bothering you and it happens on regular basis, you can ask your doctor to have a holter monitor (a device that records heart beats for 24 hours) done and the rhythm analysed and this way, your doctor can exactly know what kind of rhythm you have.

Either way the only way to exclude anything serious would be to be examined by a cardiologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here