Question: Chest pressure and Numb feeling in fingers

cool_kim21 - Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:55 pm

I am writing to find out from one of the professionals what might be wrong with me. For the last several days, I have been experiencing pressure in the upper left quadrant of my chest as well as numbness in my left hand. I hope someone can tell me what it might be. I have hernia surgery scheduled for April 12 and am wondering if maybe it is angina or anxiety! I would appreciate a fast response if it possible to do so.

Thanks,
Kim
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:34 pm

User avatar Dear Kim,

Females of the child bearing age, are naturally protected from coronary disease unless they have had major risk factors for coronary disease for years. Your chest pain is atypical as compared to that of coronary disease. So, the probability of this pain being due to coronary disease is very low. So, this is not angina.

i can not tell whether or not this is an anxiety attack as i usually don't like to blame anxiety for any symptom unless all physical causes are ruled out.

Other causes of chest pain could be mitral valve prolapse, a heart condition that needs to be followed and is diagnosed by an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) and neck spine problems amongst others.

|