Question: Chest pains, top left of my chest

Josh2005 - Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:14 am

Hi there,
I am the same, today I have been getting nasty chest pains, around the top left of my chest! like an Ache, or sharp pain! and pains down my left arm and right arm at times... Also been getting like slight irregular heart beats and sort of the feeling something is not right... I have had simillar things for months now.. but nothing has been done, as I am 18, people seem to think that I am not getting this it is all "in my head" but I know what is happening, I CAN FEEL! the aches and pains, and the sensations I get are VERY real, so... people cannot tell you how you feel! I think I am going to try to get a 24 hour ECG monitoring, I want to prevent anything from happening, I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, granted I am not really that active.. so could be more active... I drink mainly water.. So not sure I take omega-3 Fish oils etc... and garlic tablets and things. Not sure what it is, if it is heart I want it sorted! or something done, Just really gets to me that it could be something but nothing can really be said about it until it happens! Which is scary. So guess I just have to wait till I drop dead in agony from a heart attack or heart failour or something!?
 Josh2005 - Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:45 am

I am a little mroe worried that mine is heart now! just heard that a familly member (MALE) died of a severe heart attack! he was 56 I think! Not sure if he was overweight or not, not sure on any other details other than that... But! It has sent alarm bells ringing to me! and my Dad! The pains I have beengetting like now pain in my left shoulder like just underneath it! and same with the right! Arm pain like between wrist and elbow on my left arm, and also between my embow and my shoulder. I have also noticed slight irregular heart beats at times, and also like a sucking (making me want to breathe in) sensation for a second, and like muscular spasms in my chest near the centre of my chest but... to the left a little! :S I am worried! I will promise to get to see a doctor on monday about this I think, as I am worried about my health a lot now! and not sur eif there are too many ways to erradicate this happening to me, could have even been heart faliour, an autopsy? I think it is will be done on monday I think or around then, when they open :s so maybe another cause will be found. But Just my Dads mother died of a heat attack i think, she called a familly relation rather than a doctor saying she had chest pains by the time the familly member got there she was pronounced dead :( So I really would like to get quite a few things checked I think... It is reason to be concerned, my mother is now diabetic also! I am seriously in the crap I guess. I don't eat much in the way of fatty foods, just a little inactive at the moment though, I am actually underweight slightly, and have slightly lowered blood pressure so not sure what the risk level is but guess it is as high as anyone else! Still I think I will try to keep calm and not worry about it too much, guess what happens happens, but just doesn't sound nice!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:45 pm

User avatar Dear Josh,

Family history of coronary disease means a first degree relative that had a heart attack before the age coronary disease is expected which is 50 in males and 60 in females. So, if your father or brother had heart attacks before the age of 50 or your mother or sister had heart attacks before the age of 60, this is positive family history of coronary disease. So, you don't have family history of coronary disease.

Your chest pain is atypical, i would suggest that you get an x-ray of the neck to rule out cervical spine problems as your symptoms (pain in the shoulders) might be caused by such a problem.

i would recommend that you get an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to exclude mitral valve prolapse, a very common condition that is a very well known cause of chest pain in the young.

Josh2005 - Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks for the reply :) that is nice to know about the heart issue withthe familly issue. I can't really get my doctor here on the NHS to do an echocardiogram he seems to not want to it.. says there is no need! I will try to see him tomorrow and perhaps ask him about it. The pains today have been in my chest leftish side and were like a pulsing pain. and also in my arms like down the bottom of my arms, and on my right arm also at the top under my arm (armpit area) at times... But the thing I can't explain was like last night I had very little sleep but I get like a swelling feeling ro some strange feeling in my chest and then it goes away makes me beathe in like a panic thing but it does worry me a little.. could it be heart faliour or something... :s !! I do worry a lot about these things, I have been told I have fibromyalgia. But not sure if this could be the ause of all my problems? Also when I get up and do things.. my heart beat is VERY strong and quick, and slow... like not fast heart beats but fairly slow STRONG heartbeats... Still I think I will try my best to get a 24 hour monitoring and an echocardiogram, then if they are clear... then? I guess all is ok? Not a narrowing anywhere my blood pressure I think is still lowish but might get that checked also, guess if there were some blockage somewhere then blood pressure would be higher? Not sure what I can do about my blood pressure to bring it back up again get it to where it should be?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:08 pm

User avatar Dear Josh,

Thank you very much for the update.

The pain that you are describing is absolutely atypical for pain of heart origin.

There is nothing called low blood pressure in a healthy active asymptomatic individual. If you are active doing all the things that you are supposed to be doing, you have an adequate blood pressure and there is nothing you should do to try and bring your blood pressure higher where it belongs because where it is now is where it belongs.

Regarding your heart beating stronger, slower than you think it should, i don't think you have to worry about that because you have to run fast to have your heart rate go real high. Stop noticing your heart rate.

Josh2005 - Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply, it is the pressure building sensation that gets me though that is the thing, going to try to get to the doctor today or tomorrow sometime get an examination worruied about pain around my groin also at the moment don't want it to be cancer or anything :s I will mention the sensations and get him to do my blood pressure and ask about enchocardiograms and 24 hour monitorings also, and see what he said, he did say that the 24 hour monitorin would not be a problem if I asked for one, and the echocardiogram I might mention again also, see what he says.

Thanks for you reply :)
Josh.

|