News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Mitral valve needs repair or be replaced

mydaddysheart - Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:16 pm

My dad is 41 years old and was born with an abnormal valve(the aortic valve) and had open heart surgery for the first time in Feb of 03, after having so many problems since, his doctor is telling him that his mitral valve needs to be either repaired or replaced, that surgery is scheduled for March 19th 04. He has a little less than a month until then and is having very painful chest pains and arm pain, the doctor tell him there is nothing they can do until the surgery- is this true, do they think he is lying? Now as hard as it is to get him to go to the doctor anyway, he almost has to pass out to make him go, he says that he will go if it gets any worse. he is in a lot of pain but says that if he goes the doctor will tell him the same thing as last week. What could this be?? please reply asap

thank you
April in NC
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:49 pm

User avatar Dear April,

What is it that they told you your dad's chest pains are due to? Has your dad been evaluated for coronary artery disease? Has he had a coronary angiogram? Do you know what was the function of his heart like?

Usually when a surgery is scheduled at a later rather an earlier day, it is because it is thought that most probably the patient has to recuperate from some kind of event before going to surgery or they are waiting for the patient to gain more strength that would help him going through surgery.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and waiting for your response.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 mydaddysheart - Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:23 am

Hi doc!

Just wanted to write back and ask you if numbness would be a symtom of this. My dad said his big toe has been going numb and he finally called his doctor to tell them again about the shest and arm pain and told them that now his toe is turning colors(black and blue) His doctor said for him to come in and he did-they did an ekg and wanted to check his blood.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm

User avatar Dear April,

i don't think that big toe numbness has ever been described as a syptom for coronary artery disease.

Your dad has to have a coronary angiogram before he has his mitral valve replaced because of these ongoing chest pains to evaluate his coronaries as this ongoing chest pain might mean that he has significant coronary disease for which he should have a coronary bypass. i understand that he is still a little bit (not too) young for coronary disease but in my personal opinion i think he should have an angiogram.

Keep me updated with the results of the ekg and the blood work.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here