News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Treatment Modalities

Question: PICVA updates

Anonymous - Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:38 pm

I would appreciate any updates as to when PICVA might be available in the United States. I see no new information since the summer of 2001. Is there any place one could register or volunteer is an "experimental patient?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:40 pm

User avatar Dear J.,

Thank you very much for choosing our website.

PICVA is a fairly new procedure. The first case that was done, was done in Germany, in 1999 and there was a cardiologist from Harvard Dr. Stephen Oesterle on the team.

The system in the US is a little bit slow on new things as you might be aware. The same German institute and a few others in Germany did start a limited study on patients to see how it goes.

When the PICVA starts in the US, i would say that one of the first places that will begin clinical trials in it would be Harvard affiliated hospitals like Mass. General Hospital where this US cardiologist work i guess.

You are not the only person who asked this question and about when the PICVA will be available in the US, but i can not really answer this question now. Although Dr. Oesterle said that the US studies are expected to begin by the wnd of this year.

This is a link to the circulation issue where Dr. Oesterle talks about this.

Click here!

Once more, thank you very much for choosing our website and if you still have any questions don't hesitate to ask them right away.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here