Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: BP, hemoglobin, hematocrit

juzme - Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi - I am not sure if this is cardiology related or should be somewhere else. I was at our local health clinic a couple of weeks ago with a sinus infection and bronchitus. At that time my BP was 150/100. This past Friday our company had a health clinic at which time my BP was 164/100. I purchased a BP cuff and have been monitoring it several times a day. Most times it runs right around 150/100, but has been as high as 160+/110. Lowest in past 3 days was 140/98. Also I received results from blood tests taken at the health fair which is saying that a few of the numbers are high (compared to a range). Alkaline phosphatase, hemoglobin, and hematocrit. And as far as I can tell looking at the report the readings they are calling high are only a few decimals above the the high for that particular test ( like if the high was 15, mine might say 15.8). I have an appointment scheduled for March 24th to establish a primary physician, and explained the BP. Is there any reason I should try to get in before then. Also, the fact I was getting over a sinus infection and bronchitis, could that have made the blood test results higher? I am 49 years old, and I smoke, and have heavy cardiac family history on my mothers side.

Thanks for the advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:42 pm

User avatar Dear juzme,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Most probably you have high blood pressure according to the readings that you told me you had on severeal occasions.

There could be a pitfall, however. You currently have a sinus infection and on augmentin, are you taking any of the over the counter medications? Many of these medications contain substances that can elevate the blood pressure, so, if you are taking any over the counter medications, it would be reasonable to stope taking them for a week or so before saying that you have hypertension.

From the figures that you told me regarding your hypertension, it looks that you have mild to moderate hypertension. This type of hypertension can be treated by trying things other than medications and then see the effect on the blood pressure and decide whether or not you need a medication.

First of all, you absolutely have to stop smoking. Second, if you are overweight, you have to try and lose weight. Your diet has to be low salt. You have to start an exercise program but before you do that you have to be cleared medically and it is a good thing that you are going to have a primary care physician. i don't think that you need to go to see your primary care physician sooner than the 24th of march unless your blood pressure reaches real high levels. i would stop smoking and start low salt diet and try to lose weight (if you are overweight) even before going to your primary care physician.

Regarding the abnormal lab values, if it is just decimal points above the normal value for the test, i don't think that there is anything to worry about but i would advice you to mention this to your primary care doctor once you meet him.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

juzme - Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:19 pm

No, I am not overweight (124#, 5'6"). Absolutely I know I need to quit smoking, always easier said than done, but I know I have to try. As far as salt, I am not sure where I would be eating too much of it, unfortunately I don;t have a good diet because I rarely cook due to being by myself. I usually eat a sandwich or eggs and toast, a bol of cereal, something light. Also, I had been off any meds about 1 week before going to the health fair, so I am not sure whether it would have still be in my system or not.

Thanks Again, I appreciate you response.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:57 pm

User avatar Dear juzme,

Looks like you need to stop smoking and get on an exercise program after being cleared by your doctor. If you still have elevated blood pressure then, medications will be started and with mild to moderate hypertension, it usually takes one medicine to control the blood pressure.

|