Question: Help with Surprising Post-Quit-Smoking Symptoms

ReallyRen - Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:53 pm

Hello. I quit smoking 10 days ago after smoking 1.5-2 packs a day for 25 years. Now I don't expect to be healthy overnight...I am sure I've done a great deal of damage to my poor body! I know all the "usual" things to expect when one quits, but I have never heard of the symptoms I have been experiencing:

--Sharp, stabbing pains under my right breast that sometimes start in the same place in my back (and then move through so I feel it under my breast, too); I also felt this on my left side once. Have never felt this while smoking...would have scared the smoke out of me! In both instances, these pains have been followed by belches...could it be merely gas??? They last for a 5-10 minutes, and have happened...so far...maybe once a day for the last three days. Sometimes I feel the same "pain" lingering there but it is not as sharp and stabbing.

--Same sharp pains in the right side of my throat, right in the crook of my neck! I experienced this WITH the pain mentioned above, and independent of it.

--I also have a white nodule looking thing on my left tonsil, and another just underneath it. I have been experiencing a burning-type sore throat as well.

I have also experienced what I understand to be typical post-quit symptoms: tingling in hands/arms, feet/lower legs; dizzyness, frequent clearning of the throat (no cough--yet); etc.

Also...I am on the patch...using Step 1, 21 mgs over 24 hours.

I have just moved into a new city/state less than a month ago and work from home. Consequently, I know no one and have no doctor...yet.

I will be visiting the Urgent Care center this afternoon for lack of knowing where else to turn...these symptoms are rather frightening and I have yet to find on online forums another ex-smoker who shares or shared these symptoms.

Any thoughts???

--Ex-smoker filled with regrets but determined never to give in to this addiction again!

P.S. I also posted this in the Chest Disease forum first...I tried to post here first, which is where it belongs, but did not see the POST NEW TOPIC button. Apparently I had not logged in. Sorry for the new-user error!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:31 pm

User avatar Dear ReallyRen,

The symptoms you have described can be all related to Nicotine Withdrawal and Recovery Symptoms which include:

- Chest tightness which is a temporary normal sequel however usually disappear in few days.It is thought to be due to early cleaning and lung healing. Stress can induce muscle spasm which is another cause of the chest pain.

- Sore throat is one of the withdrawal symptoms that occur due to renewal of the damaged cells of the throat by the chronic chemical irritation.

- Stomach problems, Nausea, Constipation or Gas are common problems due to readjustment of the GI motility in the absence of nicotine. Again, Stress and anxiety can cause or exaggerate the GI problems.

- Cough and expectoration which occur also temporarily after nicotine cessation.

However, these symptoms are usually temporary and disappear from few days to few weeks, if they increase in severity or persists more than expected, medical consultation and physical examination is important to investigate other possible causes.

Hope you find this information useful.

|