Question: Question on left chest

NIGHTOWL269 - Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:10 am

I have pain in the left side of my chest in certain areas....I have taken every heart test there is available and have passed with flying colors...My Doctor put me on Napersin (I think thats how you spell it) and it didnt do anything for me....He then sent me to a Neurologist that put me on Gabapentin for 8 weeks....That also didnt help me....I feel this pain mostly with different movements or breathing out....I have had this problem for 8 months now and its getting very nerve racking....I'm a 40 year old male in pretty good shape....I can also touch certain part of my chest and feel where the pain comes from...But I have to poke and prode pretty hard to find it...
Any suggestions?
Joe
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:50 am

User avatar Dear NIGHTOWL269,
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation are common causes for chest pain. This usually occurs after attacks of asthma, shortness of breath, chest infections and cough, when the respiratory and chest wall muscles are overworked and in spasm or strain. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They all are associated with tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath, cough or while doing certain movements like bending to one side of the chest. Chronic pain syndromes, such as fibromyalgia, results in chronic chest pain of muscle origin. costochondritis is also a known cause of chest pain that is associated with pain and tenderness near the breast bone or at the center of the chest.
The symptoms you described are more likely to be caused by a myoskeletal problem that mandate complete history taking and thorough physical examination. So I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor for proper management.

|