Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Thickening of pleura in apical region

casino - Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:31 am

Recently i had a medical check up and in my chest X ray report it is been mentioned that i have a thickening or old scar of the pleura in the apical region. (No active leison)

Do i have to worry on this report and go for further test as i will be taking a medical for an overseas Job and will this be considered as a Problem and will i be rejected in medical fitnes report??

I am looking forward for valuable comments on this report.

Thanks & Regards

Casi
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:31 am

User avatar Hi Casino,

In our countries (I’m from Peru), thickening of the pleura in the apical region is a very common finding in an adult CXR. In low risk groups, and otherwise healthy persons, those lesions are frequently a sign of a past TB infection, now a non active lesion (an old scar).

It is important to know if you have a past or recent tuberculin skin test (PPD, Mantoux), and the results. If you do not have one, I strongly suggest you get one. In many countries is part of the requisites you need to accomplish for a job.

A practical guide, prepared by the American Thoracic Society and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and endorsed by the Infectious Disease Society of America, suggests that persons who are not likely to be infected with TB should generally not be tuberculin tested (only high prevalence and risk groups).

Persons born in countries with high prevalence of TB and/or have chest radiographs suggestive of old TB are considered in those high risk groups. Of course there are other explanations for a pleural scar, but if you are seeking for a job overseas, it is important to provide evidence that it’s not active TB.

I’m pretty sure it’s only a scar, but just to be sure you cover up everything to achieve all your employer’s prerequisites, ask your doctor about the skin test.

Dr Torax
 casino - Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 am

Dear Doctor

Thank you for your valuable comment

Casi
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:00 pm

User avatar You are welcome Casino, and good luck,

Dr Torax.

|