Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Whats wrong with me??

sambakersman - Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:15 am

Hi all,
I have been having sparatic chest pain around my heart now for years. It happens on average five times a week, and feels like something is squeezing my heart so hard that i usually grab at my chest. These episodes last a couple of seconds, and come in spurts of two or three. One doctor had me on moniter for a month, and i recorded what i could, and nothing came up. I am 25, average weight, and no stress. Any idea what it could be??
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:45 pm

User avatar Dear sambakersman,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of Chest pain especially if the pain is similar to that caused by cardiac ischemia although less likely to be the cause in your case (young age with no risk factors). Some other cardiac causes like Mitral valve prolapse give pain that may be similar to that of ischemic heart disease and is usually associated with palpitation. These conditions should be investigated by ECG, stress ECG, Echocradiography and Cardiac catheter if needed.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain and should be excluded By Chest X-ray and CT scan if needed.
Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung. The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases. The pain is felt like sharp pain on one side or less commonly in both sides, it increases with deep breath. The pain usually stops once you hold your breath and result in rapid, shallow breathing.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Hope you find this information useful.

|