Question: plees help..sharp pain in lower back wen taking deep breaths

anthonyb - Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:58 pm

hi my name is anthony im 16 n I live in germantown md ..forabout the past 2 months I have been feeling sharp pains in my lower left or sometimes right back when I take deep breaths..I am a previous smoker of about 1/12 years ..I live with another family not with my parents so its not like I have someone to talk to about this ,...sometimes my heart will hurt also for about 1 or 2 second my heart will tense up or I duno what happens but it feels like my heart is being squeezed very hard...I do not now what this is and I am reasearching on it but I don't know what else to do...I feel like I am dying...please if someone could talk to me about this ..please email me at theballa101@aol. com and I will appreciate it....
Anthony
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:15 pm

User avatar Dear Anthony,
The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves. They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.
Pleurisy which is an inflammation of the membrane covering the lung (the pleura), results in a sharp pain in the chest that is increased with deep breathing and cough. Pleuretic pain which is associated with breathing difficulty, usually occurs as a sequale of chest infection, is a common cause of chest pain and shortness of breath. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic rub and the condition improves gradually when the infection is controlled.
Sometimes pleurisy occurs due to viral infection without an evident chest infection, however, either sore throat, mild fever, or running nose is usually present.
Anxiety and rapid breathing is one of the known causes of chest pain, probably due to exertion of the respiratory muscles, hyperventilation effect, indigestion and nerve pain. In this case the pain is usually felt as pressure inside the chest that radiate to the neck and shoulders all around the sides and the back. And is sometimes associated with the feeling of numbness around lips and hands. In this case all what would help you is to lie down, relax and try to slow the rate of breathing. Breathing also inside a bag kept loosely around nose and mouth would improve the symptoms. I should emphasize that this diagnosis is made primarily after exclusion of all other causes of chest pain by careful history taking and physical examination by your physician, in addition to all the required investigations.
Spontaneous pneumothorax occurs primarily at rest . The main symptom is dull, stabbing, or sharp chest pain with shortness of breath that occurs suddenly. The pain may be either dull or sharp or stabbing. .
Spontaneous pneumothorax occurs usually in smokers. The diagnosis can be done by physical examination and Chest X-ray.
I advise you to take an appointment for your consultant , by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|