Question: CHEST PAINS-WENT TO EMERGENCY ROOM

bestwriter - Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:21 am

A month ago I went to the emergency room b/c I was experiencing chest pain. I have an EKG done and chest xrays and blood work drawn. The doctor told me that I probably had a virus and that the inflammation was causing my chest to hurt. He gave me a perscription for Ibuprofen. Three weeks later the chest pains have not sudsided and I was experiencing other symptoms, like diarrhea, and body/muscle aches. I didn't have a fever or coughing or anything else. I went to another doctor and she said that I probably have a virus. She said that maybe the cartilidge in ny chest was sore (?!), but when I got home I started doing some more research on the internet and now I am not so sure. I'm about 80% better but still not 100%. My question is what does the bloodwork test for? Does it show if I have a viral infection? Mono, Bacteria, STD? Do I have to go back to the doctor for to find out what kind of virus I have? Sorry, if I sound stupid but I need to know.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:44 pm

User avatar Dear bestwriter,

It would be of great help if you could describe more the character of that pain, (nature , exact site, exaggerating factors, other associated symptoms and signs).

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with Cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy.
You mentioned that there were also diarrhea, and body/muscle aches, which makes the viral infection more likely to be the cause.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Cardiac causes, should be excluded in any case of chest pain with symptoms similar to that of cardiac ischemia (I can not tell from the information you have given how related they are to cardiac causes).

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis, these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises. In IBS, people complain of abdominal pain, diarrhea and or constipation attacks and gas.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|