Question: Pain in left arm and left side of chest

karen_2005 - Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:04 am

Hi

wandering if someone could give me some advice?
i am 25 female, 128lbs and 5'3
Recently I am pain in left arm (sometimes in fingers too), and left side of chest. It begin dull, but now is a piercing pain.
In may I begin having pains in chest when I excerised, when stopped it went away.
Had a stress test Aug. Did good on it and no problems. I Have a history high blood presure.
Is this anything I should be concerned about, or will it eventually go away.

Thanks [/b]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:17 pm

User avatar Dear karen_2005 ,
At your age group, with no risk factors for coronary heart disease,
if the pain you have experience was a sporadic event, and your stress ECG was normal , hopefully the diagnosis of coronary heart disease is less likely to be the cause. Although it should be checked and excluded for any attack of chest pain that gives similar picture of ischemic heart disease.
However, it is of importance to investigate the possible causes of this pain and to consider the history of episodic hypertension.
People suffering from episodes of hypertension usually have their blood pressure normal while at rest. When there is stress or physical efforts the blood pressure gets higher and many patients experience chest pain. The chest pain is similar to that of coronary ischemia (angina) in character. The mechanism is due to the fact that the high pressure inside the arteries creates tension inside the (left) ventricle of the heart that needs to push the blood out of its cavity against such increased Resistance. This results in collapse of the Small arterial branches that supply the muscles of the heart, hence ischemic pain.
To diagnose these patients who can benefit from anti hypertensive drugs, it is very important to measure the blood pressure while the pain is felt.
With time the blood pressure becomes high even at rest and under normal conditions. At that time, complications including damage to the heart , kidney, eyes, etc have also started and that is why hypertension is named silent killer.
I advise you to check your blood pressure once you experience the chest pain, and to consult your physician for proper examination and proper management.
Best of luck,

|