Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Pain, Cough, Other Symptoms - Won't Go Away :(

NewYorker29 - Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:11 pm

Hello. I am a 29 year old male living in New York. I drink alcohol about once or twice a week in moderation and I am a non-smoker (quit 7+ years ago). I have had a problem for several years now, but it continues to get worse. Prior to describing the symptoms, here is the extensive history of doctors and test I have had because of this.

I have had several full physicals, x-rays, blood tests, catscans, pulmonary exams, and more. I have visited a primary doctor, a gastroenterologist, a pulmonary doctor, a chiropractor, a neurologist, a rheumotologist. All exams and tests have come up with nothing.

I have tried asthma medication, muscle relaxers, allergy medication, and more. I have also tried various forms of exercise and diet changes. Nothing seems to relieve the condition.

I have also tried humidifiers, air purifiers, and things like that and nothing has helped. Also, I have moved during this period and the condition still existed in the new apartment.

On to the condition....

I have occasional pain and discomfort in an isolated area of my chest. When I cough, it hurts in that spot like it is inflamed (similar to how your entire chest feels when you have bronchitis). My cough sounds bad, like a duck, and can be extremely painful at times. Also, when i breathe in deep occasionally I feel a cracking in that area (similar to the sensation of cracking knuckles).

The best way I can describe it is it feels like I have bronchitis or a chest cold in one small spot but it never goes away.

This condition keeps getting worse and I have tried effortlessly to find out what it is or how to get rid of it. It is starting to really affect my life in a bad way. Any help here or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.
 spongebobkids - Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:19 pm

I had similar symptoms and was diagnosed with pleurisy. Has you Dr even mentioned it if not ask if it is a possibility.
 NewYorker29 - Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 pm

Thank you very much for the response!

I have never even heard of this condition, and none of the doctors I've seen have even mentioned it.

What type of treatment have you used, and has it alleviated the problem at all?

Thanks again.
 spongebobkids - Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:25 am

my doctor put me on an anitbiotic, pain med and cough syrup. The cough syrup I only took once as it made me cough more and made my chest hurt more. For more info Google does wonders
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:29 pm

User avatar Hello NewYorker29 -

What you describe sounds very much like constochondritis, sometimes also known as Tietz' syndrome. It is a chronic inflammation of the connective tissue between the ribs and/or where the ribs connect to the sternum or other areas. It is treated almost exclusively with non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen and naproxyn (Advil and Aleve). Hopefully you've tried one of these by now. The problem can sometimes be a long-term or recurrent problem and on occasion more sophisticated pain management is required, but usually these drugs will do the trick.

Good luck to you.

|