Question: Chest pain

qbie - Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm

I woke up early morning (Monday - today) with a burning sensation in the left side of my chest. I thought I had heartburn so I took ranitidine and it helped a little. I went back to bed and I felt a little better when I woke up. When I was eating lunch this afternoon, it was very painful as the food was going down to my stomach. Everytime I would burp, the pain travels through my esophagus. The pain is like a burning sensation but can be very painful sometimes. I am wondering what caused me to get this pain. I am taking doxycycline right now. Could that be the cause of this pain? Should I worry about this or would it just pass by in a few days?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:34 am

User avatar Dear qbie,
Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest. Iatrogenic drug-induced esophageal injury from doxycycline is known and has been reported by many DIEI. The mechanism of esophageal injury induced by doxycycline is thought to be by different mechanisms that include its own acidic effect. People with hiatus hernia are more prone to develop DIEI. W ithdrawal of the drug results in improvement of symptoms in one week. Keep in mind that also Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods. If you must take the drug, try to take it with plenty fluid , while eating or after eating and not on empty stomach. If your symptoms are severe or increasing stop the drug and consult your doctor.

|