Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Chest Pain

Chester - Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:52 am

I'm 42 years old. A year ago while living in Ethiopia I experience pain in both side of my chest. Went to the doctor and prescribed muscle anti-inflamatory drugs. Now, ayear after I'm starting experience chest pain but this time in some way different. It started a month ago again in both sides of my chest. I took the same muscle anti-inflamatory and the pain went away. But now I have this pain in my middle section of my chest, in front and in the back. I started also burbing a lot since the pain started. At nigh when I lay down the pain increses to the point that some night the pain wakes me up. I'm working out everything day. I don't smooke and I consider myself a healthy person.

Your advice is more than welcome!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:43 pm

User avatar Dear Chester,

Pain in the chest with characters similar to what you have described can be due to one of these causes:

In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles causes chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a lump or tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing. The condition can be a sequence of sore throat or (viral, bacteria) infection that subsides gradually after recovering from infections or as part of a spastic esophageal motility disorders.

GERD
The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest in the morning. Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry cough and shortness of breath similar to asthma.
Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation are common causes for chest pain. They all are associated with tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath, cough or while doing certain movements like bending to one side of the chest. They usually improve with physiotherapy, muscle exercise, pain killers, muscle relaxants. Avoiding exposure to cold humid environment is very important to improve the symptoms

Psychological or emotional stress and anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.

Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

Best Regards,

|