Question: Breathing Pain

Jenniec - Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:50 pm

Hi! I have had difficult time breathing lately, I will be sitting down and take it a deep breath and it hurts, and it lasts for a little bit, ,so I just take little breaths until I need to take a deep breath and its worse. I wanted to find out if anyone here would know why this happens, or if they have heard of it happening. Etc.. I don’t know if this makes a difference but I am going to college right now and I walk to school. The temperature recently has been around -21 F to -2 F .
Jenni
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:40 pm

User avatar Dear Jenniec,
Shortness of breath is usually due to an inflammatory process in the respiratory airway a disease. The inflammation results in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way with swollen cells in the airway lining, as a sequence narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow.
This usually occurs as a sequence of respiratory tract infection. Do you have any other symptoms like cough, expectoration, sore throat or fever lately?
Individuals with Personal and/or family history of allergies, like allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or eczema are more prone to have this spasm. Common allergens are dust mites, cockroach allergens, molds, cold moist air and pollens. Common respiratory irritants include: tobacco smoke, pollution, and fumes from burning wood or gas.
Chronic shortness of breath is a diagnosis of asthma a condition that is aggravated with chest infection. Symptoms are usually periodic and vary in duration, may last from few minutes up to few days. Asthmatic symptoms usually imp robe with age especially in children.
Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episode shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination and some Tests may help:
Lung function tests
Peak flow measurements
Chest x-ray
Allergy skin or blood tests
Arterial blood gas
Eosinophil count (a type of white blood cell)

Treatment include, identifying the allergens and respiratory irritants and to avoid them. In addition,
People with mild asthma (infrequent attacks) may use relief medication as needed. Those with persistent asthma should take control medications on a regular basis to prevent symptoms from occurring.
I advise you to take an appointment for your doctor for complete physical examination and proper diagnosis.

|