Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Death from Pneumonia

_freeze_ - Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:44 am

Hi there, My grandfather has passed away last Sunday morning due to Pneumonia with a unlying coad, :cry: which really sucks... He had lived in Malaysia all his life, The doctors mentioned that they had to pump oxygen into his lungs but wasn't able to, they then tried to use medication (i forgot what it is called), the medication didn't take affect... then... . Could he have died from a heart attack? Or what else could he have died from?

Thanks in advance,
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:17 am

User avatar Hi _freeze_,
First let me extend my sympathies for your loss. One of the complications of pneumonia (aside from other conditions) in the older population and the very young is respiratory failure. When a person experiences this condition it affects other all cells and organs in the body including the heart. After the heart is taxed to such a degree, trying to pump harder to circulate blood and oxygen to organs and cells, it in turn stops as well. It would be next to impossible for me to state the exact cause of your grandfathers death. Again, my most sincere sympathies.

|