Question: Lung Pain while sleeping

TCNJ - Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:55 pm

I am 24 yrs old and a student. I have been having pain in my left lung for a few years now but xrays keep and EKG keep coming back negative. Every time I attempt to sleep on my left side I wake up with a really sharp pain in my left lung. Ive also noticed that if I am hunched over and am awake the pain will also occur. Can anyone tell me what this is? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:27 pm

User avatar Dear TCNJ,
The symptoms you have described are more likely to be of neurological or myoskeltal origin than of a cardiac cause.
Brachial plexus compression gives similar symptoms.
The Brachial Plexus represents a network of nerves that supply the upper part of the body (skin and muscles). To reach the upper trunk it passes through different areas where it can be stretched or compressed at different levels. One of them is under the muscles of the chest wall (pectoralis minor) which help the shoulder to be bent froward or in between the scalene muscles at the root of the neck. Symptoms according to the area where it is affected and generally lead to numbness and weakness of the affected part.
Activities in which there is frequent overhead use of arm, forward bending, or heavy weight on the shoulder are more likely to aggravate the condition. For example when a person wake up with the arm or part of chest wall numb after keeping the hand over the head while sleeping is common.
Physical examination and imaging studies can help define the cause.
Maintaining good posture and physical excercise can help improve symptoms.

Muscle pain due to different causes can give similar pain on the chest , of these causes:
Fibromyalgia in which muscle pain (myalgia) that is present at rest and increases with movement, tenderness (pain when press on the affected muscles). That involves any muscles in the body and goes away then recurs in another muscle or group of muscles, etc,
I advise you to take an appointment with your consultant discuss with him this possibility, after complete examination and investigations he can reach proper diagnosis.
Best regrads,

|