Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: severe chest pain + difficulty breathing

Angelina Pitt - Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:40 pm

25 years spent as pro. athlete = know my body well. 18 months ago in middle of YOGA class developed a severe cough that has never gone away- which progressed into severe chest pain and breathing difficulties.. Over next 6 months had to quit ALL physical activity as it increased coughing AND chest pain. Went thru all the normal "chest /cough" specialists in L.A. CA. with negative results on all tests including both heart and lung angiograms. Even went thru a {renowned) Pancreatologist as he was sure this was my problem. it wasn't. I now am on disability as they cannot figure out what is wrong. I want a lung biopsy as I feel it is in my lungs and know from a previous diagnosis in my knee that CAT scans and MRI's do NOT show everything. { I have PVNS in my right knee}. I came up with the "pleurisy" idea - as "breathing" can be so painful...but was told that would show up on cat scan. My hip joints are extremely painful and my vision has deteriorated rapidly over the last 60 days...(??)
Had recent PET scan and was told there were 2 areas on my left chest that "lit up" ... am not too sure what they meant.. I have had more trips to the ER. . . than the ambulance drivers...and am just sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel the life is being drained out of me and I will not make another 6 months. Can someone suggest another angle - I or my hot shot doctors are missing? What is the most efficient way of knowing if the pain is from my heart or my lungs?...I know it is one of them.
thank you for any and all help
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:27 pm

User avatar Dear Angelina Pitt,

Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS ) is a benign proliferative disorder of unknown etiology that involves synovial lined joints, bursae, and tendon sheaths. It is uncommon and represents a diagnostic challenge for doctors.

The disease is known to affect mainly males at the age of 20 - 50 years old. It tends to affect multiple joints, but mainly affects the knee and the hip joint.

Although it has a benign nature, it can involve adjacent bone and affects the extra- articular tissues. It may also metastasize to lung/viscera.

Diagnosis is made by CT and MRI imaging.
Treatment is by Convector.

If you have these positive chest lesions by PET Scan, what did your doctor interpreted them, are they bony lesion, soft tissue, lung or pleural? What did he recommend you for that?

I think you need to follow up with him and to discuss with him this information.
Hope you find this information useful,

|