News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain this week after ovarian cyst rupture last week

pilotgirl - Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:10 pm

I had, as stated in the topic title, an ovarian cyst burst last week and had the extreme pain that went with it (low blood pressure resulted along with tachycardia and syncope) and went to the ER where I underwent CT scans and blood tests. I developed an infection two days later as I was not prescribed an antibiotic at the outset. I was then put on 400mg avalox and had been on Vicodin and Naprosyn. I am still on avalox but last night developed pain on the right side of my chest and around to the back side of my right shoulder blade. I again went to the ER and again experienced syncope and tachycardia. They did blood tests and chest x-rays to test for a pulmonary embolism but both came back negative. (I have since read that you can get false negative reports on the blood tests and that it does not always show up on early chest x-rays). I was diagnosed with costalchondritis (?) and/or pleurisy. My questions are 1) can my original ovarian cyst rupture be considered a trauma bad enough to cause a PE and 2) if I am on antibiotics, is it reasonable to believe that I could develop a bacterial infection such as pleurisy? (BTW, I have now received two more antibiotic presriptions to fight the pleurisy) Sorry to be so long winded but any answers I could recieve would be most helpful. Thanks for your time.
 pilotgirl - Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:13 pm

I should have mentioned that both times I had ekg's come back normal.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here