News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest discomfort/ Heaviness

vicman - Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:35 am

I appreciate any advice you may have.
The pain is located right down the neck between the pecs, at a small spot to the lower left.

Im a 24 year old male, non-smoking, non/drinking never used any drugs before, I am overweight.5'9" and 260 lbs,however I've been overweight all my life, and im not out of shape. Ive been battling depression and anxiety for a few years.

I have already visited both the emergency room and the follow up, but the discomfort persists. I have a normal BP and Cholesterol, EKG came out normal, chest x-ray came out perfect, doctors couldnt find anything. My family has a long line of heart problems, so as soon as I felt that discomfort, I didnt hesitate to go to the ER. At which time the doctor said I had had my first panic attack and I was hyperventilating. I went to my follow up and everything was normal.

Since then Ive felt this pain usually when I get up in the mornings and heaviness to boot, Ive also noticed my strength has decreased the past few days, I have a hard time holding my niece when i didnt before. Ive also noticed that Ive been burping more often. Usually when I take a short nap leaning on my right side is when I feel better. I have taken antacids and NON-SAID's. I do help alot of people with the lifting of heavier items. I recently had a muscle tear in my lower right abdomen and have been taking it easy for a few weeks.

I honestly don't know what it is, Ive never had any physical health problems in my life. Ive been given heating pads, cold pads to administer over the area, Ive cut down on sodas and spicy foods in case it was acid, Am I doing the right things?

Thank you for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:02 am

User avatar Hi vicman,
If you have had a normal cardiac workup then other reasons for the chest discomfort should be explored. Gerd, for example, may cause symptoms of chest pain, acid reflux, etc. Discuss with your physician about a regular medication regimen (Zantac, Prevecid, etc.) to see if this helps alleviate the symptoms. You may also want to use some relaxation techniques to reduce the episodes of anxiety as physical symptoms may result from both anxiety and depression.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 vicman - Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:34 am

Thank you so much for responding, I have already scheduled an appointment with my physician.
Thank you Nurse Jones.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:28 am

User avatar Hi vicman,
You are quite welcome and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
An updated post when your time permits would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here