Question: Chest discomfort/ Heaviness

vicman - Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:35 am

I appreciate any advice you may have.
The pain is located right down the neck between the pecs, at a small spot to the lower left.

Im a 24 year old male, non-smoking, non/drinking never used any drugs before, I am overweight.5'9" and 260 lbs,however I've been overweight all my life, and im not out of shape. Ive been battling depression and anxiety for a few years.

I have already visited both the emergency room and the follow up, but the discomfort persists. I have a normal BP and Cholesterol, EKG came out normal, chest x-ray came out perfect, doctors couldnt find anything. My family has a long line of heart problems, so as soon as I felt that discomfort, I didnt hesitate to go to the ER. At which time the doctor said I had had my first panic attack and I was hyperventilating. I went to my follow up and everything was normal.

Since then Ive felt this pain usually when I get up in the mornings and heaviness to boot, Ive also noticed my strength has decreased the past few days, I have a hard time holding my niece when i didnt before. Ive also noticed that Ive been burping more often. Usually when I take a short nap leaning on my right side is when I feel better. I have taken antacids and NON-SAID's. I do help alot of people with the lifting of heavier items. I recently had a muscle tear in my lower right abdomen and have been taking it easy for a few weeks.

I honestly don't know what it is, Ive never had any physical health problems in my life. Ive been given heating pads, cold pads to administer over the area, Ive cut down on sodas and spicy foods in case it was acid, Am I doing the right things?

Thank you for your help.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:02 am

User avatar Hi vicman,
If you have had a normal cardiac workup then other reasons for the chest discomfort should be explored. Gerd, for example, may cause symptoms of chest pain, acid reflux, etc. Discuss with your physician about a regular medication regimen (Zantac, Prevecid, etc.) to see if this helps alleviate the symptoms. You may also want to use some relaxation techniques to reduce the episodes of anxiety as physical symptoms may result from both anxiety and depression.
 vicman - Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:34 am

Thank you so much for responding, I have already scheduled an appointment with my physician.
Thank you Nurse Jones.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:28 am

User avatar Hi vicman,
You are quite welcome and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
An updated post when your time permits would be appreciated.

|