News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: post pneumonia chest pain

dusty ford - Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:56 pm

Hello and happy new year to all! I would like to ask as i am very curious. I had pneumonia nearly 4 years ago. I was in quite a bad state with it. I had pneumoccocal pneumonia, septiceamia, DIC, renal failure and then my lung collapsed as well as getting MRSA. Thats all what i can remember and excuse the spelling mistakes. But ever since then i have had re-occurant chest pains every now and again in exactly the same place as the pneumonia 4 years ago, which is the right lung and towards the top. Most of the time it is a dull ache, but sometimes the pain can be quite a sharp aching pain and can last for hours. I get the pain if i have been lying still or go into the cold or i am stressed. I have also got the pain for no apparent reason at all too. I have been to the doctor many a times to be told that its just muscle pain and it will go away with time and to take pain relief if it occurs, but being 4 years on i would like to know if this is ever going to go away or is it something that i have to live with now as a result. Please can someone help me understand whats going on and how long it is likely to persist and how to help alleviate the pain when it occurs. Thank you very much.
 amojade - Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Have you looked up or talked to your dr about costochondritis? I'm not a dr or anything but I recently had pneumonia and developed this afterwards. I'd look it up and see if possibly your symptoms are similar. =)
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:25 pm

User avatar Hello dusty ford -

While amojade has given you one excellent suggestion (as well as a very good observation about possible pneumonia), the description of your discomfort doesn't sound as much like costochondritis (although it certainly could be); with all you went through during your bout of pneumonia I'm thinking it's possible there could be some lasting sensitivity from the pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) or just the area in general. This could be pleuritic pain or something of a similar nature. Of course the treatment for it would be the same as for costochondritis, which would be to take an over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen or naproxyn (Advil or Aleve). If this were to fail to help then I'd strongly suggest a second opinion, as muscle pain shouldn't last four years either.

Hope this is helpful.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:51 am

User avatar I agree with John!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here