Question: Unknown Chest Pains

chuck - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:02 am

I am a 25 year old male living in the UK, not sure of wieght, probably a tiny bit on the heavy side, but not overly so.

I was sitting at work on the Wednesday before Christmas, and noticed that the dull ache I'd had in my lower back shot up to the left side of my chest, which was extremely painful to take a full breath, and really hurt when both inhaling and exhaling.

I have something called Factor V Leiden mutation which means I have an increased risk of blood clots.

The pain wasin the left side coming round to the left front at the ribs to lower ribs

I was pretty concerned about this, so I went to A&E where I was given the following:

X-Ray to check for broken ribs - turned out to be all clear
Blood test - came back with an increase in one marker (I don't know which one) which apparently DIDN'T rule out a blood clot, it didn't suggest there was one, but it was the one marker that had it been normal, would have ruled out a clot.
ECG - apparently normal

So they gave me some blood thinning agents and put me in a ward until the following morning at which point they gave me something called a VQ Scan, which was made up of me inhaling some kind of radioactive gas which allowed them to take pictures of the airflow in my chest. They then injected a similar substance which showed the bloodflow in and around my chest. This apparently would have shown up a clot.

The scan came back as perfectly normal, which was good news considering I was a smoker for a few years (gave up 4 years ago). So clear x-ray, ecg, vq scan, and the blood tests suggested no inftection.

The pain went after a few hours in the ward (I was given paracetamol and ibuprofen). However I noticed it came back when I got up to go the toilet, then went away soon after I lay back down.

So they released me from hospital on the Friday, as the pain had subsided, and they just put it down to either being muscular or "one of those things".

However on Friday night I woke up with the same pain in my chest (I was lying on my left side) and noticed that I couldn't exert myself to roll onto my back (very painful). By Saturday morning the pain was gone.

Over the Christmas period, I got a little sharp pain every now and then, but nothing like what I had in hospital. However last night I got the same agonising pain in the same bit of my chest (the left side coming round to the left front at the ribs to lower ribs). Again it's now gone.

I have a slight tightness at the front of my chest, which I think is because I'm a little uptight at work (I had a paretty stressful year last year and I'm almost used to worrying about worrying, if you know what I mean!).

So, any ideas what this might be? Could it be muscular? I was thinking about buying some ibuprofen and seeing if that helped. Could it be stress related? I read elsehwere that there is something called chest wall syndrome. I did however get the impression that this was sore ALL the time, whereas mine comes and goes.

I had my blood pressure taken many times while in hospital (I don't think it was perfect, but it wasn't overly high, and I was pretty worked up!).
 chuck - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 am

I should have said I also had a bit of a temperature (nothing major) while I was in hospital and had had a cold (mostly a head cold) the week before this happened, but I did not have any kind of cough.
 chuck - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:35 am

And, (sorry, I keep remembering things), I have found that when I'm in bed, lying on my left side, and the pain starts, that sometimes, such as last night, when I'm taking a breath, it almost feels like something crackles, or jumps, or moves, in the painful part of the chest, and then the pain eases..... it's very very strange and difficult to describe.
 chuck - Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 am

Well, seeing as no-one is answering, here's an update.

The pain didn't go away, it came back every time I lay on my left side for more than a few minutes. While on my side breathing felt "crackly" and "gurgly" on the side where the pain was, and I had to twist myself round to get onto my back, and while doing so the point where the pain was would crack or move, and the pain would ease......

I went back to the doctors, as far as he was concerned, there was nothing wrong but I may have inflammation of the chest wall, so take ibuprofen and see how it goes. I did that, and I must admit it's easing....

still really strange though.
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:44 pm

read my posts from bt242 http://www.doctorslounge.com/chest/foru ... hp?t=11654

|