"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Could I have gotten Silicosis?

crfshew - Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:42 am

My friend recenlty broke his glass tabaco pipe. I was looking at the peices the other day and i breathed through one of the peices, not hard just one quick little breath. The pipe broke pretty clean, its not like it shattered into a million peices it also looked pretty clean on the inside of the tube i sucked through. Is it possible for me to have gotten silicosis from that? To my knowledge that is the only exposure to silica ive ever had.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:46 pm

Silicosis is a lung disease that results from inhaling silicon dioxide or crystalline silica dust without adequate protection.

The Acute form of silicosis is lung inflammation due to exposure to silica over several months. It should be a massive exposure if single one.

The Chronic form silicosis, is a lung scarring, nodules, due to years of exposure to silica dusts. This is the most common

Symptoms include:
Shortness of breath
Unexplainedl weight loss

Hope you find this information useful.