Question: Stabbing and pressure in chest

Lolly_Rogers - Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:40 pm

I am 19 years old, female, a little overweight, a smoker and this morning i woke up with sharp stabbing pains in the centre of my back and the feeling of heavy pressure on the centre of my chest. it also feels as if i have a lump in my throat and breathing is marginally laboured. I have mild exercise-induced asthma but it feels nothing like asthma. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what i am feeling and waht it may be caused by. As far as i know there is no family history of heart attack, however there is diabetes and high cholesterol. I hope someone can inform me as to what is going on. I thank you very much for taking your time out to help me and others who post on here.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:37 am

User avatar Lump feeling and pain in the chest can be due to one of these causes:
In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles causes chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a lump or tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing. The condition can be a sequence of sore throat or (viral, bacteria) infection that subsides gradually after recovering from infections.

GERD
The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest in the morning. Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry cough and shortness of breath similar to asthma.
Worth noting that, the association between GERD, motility disorders and asthma is very high (concomitant).

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them.

Psychological or emotional stress and anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.
Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.
Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods. In addition smoking is one of he precipitating factors that should be avoided.

Keep on follow up with your doctor, update him with your symptoms, by complete history and physical examination, he can recommend the proper medical approach.

|