Question: Chest Pain

sosweet - Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 pm

I have seen several drs and have had xrays for both chest & upper gi and an EKG. All has come back normal and drs are starting to treat me as though I am nuts. I am in pain and am finding it hard to do anything. Drs are having me take anti-inflammatory's for inflamed cartiledge or possibly inflammed sac around heart (that of course sounds terrible to me) and telling me to heat chest area & to rest. I have been doing this for several days and the pain/heaviness is just getting worse. Here are my symptoms and the history of when they started:

-Sharp pain in chest started on a regular basis two weeks ago when moving, twisting in bed, wearing a bra, or upon inhaling - after inhaling several deep breaths pain subsides slowly.
-Felt heaviness in chest first night - upon exercising for about 2 hours in middle of night, pain went away, exercised more the next several days, may have over done it.
-Been feeling very cold - even when dressed in multiple layers and with covers. Drank a shot on New Years Eve - body got very chilled - stayed under covers for several hours and took a very hot bath - before I got back to normal.
-Felt lots of fatigue next day, layed around house, tried to stay warm.
-Next day felt little better and took down christmas decorations - moved a few heavy things - then went to movies, where I started to feel very warm and chilled at the same time, and started to feel an overwhelming heaviness in my chest (especially on right side).
-Woke-up following day with swollen upper stomach (very weird)
-Since then, I have had a very uncomfortable heaviness in my chest that continues to get worse and still have the swollen upper stomach (can't get bra on and am very uncomfortable). Now, just the pressure of my breasts laying on my chest, leads to episodes of not being able to breath without deeply inhaling and my chest now feels heavy all the time (even feel the heaviness when on the anti-inflammatory meds).
-Now starting to feel soarness/heaviness in my back (both upper, shoulders, and around ribs).

Note, may have something to do with symptoms, I have always had a sternum that abnormally sticks out. When laying down - it sticks up out of my skin. Mentioned this to drs, they said "yeah, that is abnormal" and nothing else about it.

Could I be experiencing liver problems? Can xrays determine liver problems? What else could it possibly be? How long would it take for the inflamming to get better? Is it worth a trip to the emergency room or hospital so multiple tests can be done to determine what is going on?

The anti-infammatory meds do take some of the discomfort away, but they leave other unsatisfying symptoms, like heat through my head (ringing in ears and pressure around ears) and heartburn pain. Plus, when they wear-off the heaviness is back or much worse.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:24 pm

User avatar Dear sosweet,

The symptoms you have described are very suggestive of viral infection and muscle pain and spasm.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Flu
Metabolic abnormalities like low Magnesium level and Hypocalcemia
Hypoparathyroidism

The correct diagnosis is easier when other symptoms exist.
In your situation, Viral infection and an associated muscle pain and spasm are more likely to be the cause.

Self care and avoiding the precipitating cause will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy. Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|