Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: lump on sternum

josem - Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:10 pm

I am a 22 year old female and I just recently found a small lump, located on the center of my chest, on the sternum. The lump is less then an 1/2 cm. diameter, colorless, and stationary. When touched it is quite painful. What could it be am what should I do about it?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:07 pm

User avatar Dear josem,

It is very difficult to tell by the anatomical location and few symptoms what it could be, especially if the anatomical origin is not well defined and the associated symptoms are not indicative for any possible diagnosis.

Swelling in the center of the chest,(sternal mas),can be a bony or a soft tissue mass.
Since it is painful, and tender, Traumatic and inflammatory causes are considerd however, benign and malignant tumors can also present as a painful swelling.

In any case clinical examination is very essential for differential diagnosis of any palpable mass especially if the associated symptoms are not indicative of any possible diagnosis.

Only after complete history and physical examination, investigation can be recommended and the nature of this mass can be defined.

|