Question: POST BRONCHITIS COMPLICATIONS

KIRBS - Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:32 pm

I recently had a bacterial Bronchitis infection that took a few weeks of antibiotics to clear up. I never had a cough just shortness of breath and heart pulpitations. It has since cleared up but no I have pain in my shoulder that extends into my back all the way over to my spine. The first few days I had a tremendous squeezing feeling over the left side of my chest and my heart. It is gone now but the numbness and pain in my left shoulder and arm, plus my back will not go away. I can still feel pain when I breeth in also. Could it be I have strained something in my lungs? Or that the bateria spread to another location? I've also read that the Lymph nodes can be damaged from an infection. Or is this just my lungs working themselves back to normal? Any help someone can give would be appreciated.

Kirbs
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:55 pm

User avatar Dear KIRBS,
It seems that you had a severe attack of bacterial bronchitis that needed a long course of antibiotics to be recovered ( you said few weeks), or you had a viral form of infection that took its time to recover and that is why the antibiotic did not show a fast complete recovery of the infection. Superadded bacterial infections over viral ones are very common and in these cases a course of antibiotic is mandatory to be given according to culture and sensitivity.
Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung (pleurisy), is a very common sequel of Flu, and viral or bacterial chest infection. Pleurisy causes a pain that is sharp in character, increasing with deep breath or cough and is associated with shortness of breath. Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation results also in chest pain. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They are also tenderness over the affected areas.
In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough. Auscultation of the chest is of utmost importance in all cases of chest pain.
Only with complete history, physical examination and investigations your doctor can identify the possible cause of the pain. I advise you to visit your doctor to identify the possible cause of this pain hence the proper medications.

|