Question: chest pressure/Shortness of breath

alicea - Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:55 am

Since Thanksgiving I have had shortness of breath, an aching in my chest, burning under my ribs and coughing of phlem...my first vist to the Doctor I was told my lungs were clear...second visit lungs are clear...3rd visit to urgercare center they did a chest x-ray and said it was bronchitis and gave me an inhaler.
I haven't gotten any better no more cough but now more pain in left side of chest and I have shortness of breath , burning under my rib cage..I am so tired and I am starting to ache in my neck and shoulder area.......I have visuted the Doctor again and her response was anxiety but I just don't see how I can be this sick since Thanksgiving and it be anxiety please give me some kind of help....

Angie
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:57 pm

User avatar Dear alicea,
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation are common causes for chest pain. This usually occurs after attacks of asthma, shortness of breath, chest infections and cough, when the respiratory and chest wall muscles are overworked and in spasm or staring. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough.

Pleuretic pain which is associated with breathing difficulty , usually occurs as a sequale of chest infection, is also another cause of chest pain and shortness of breath. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic rub and the condition improves gradually when the infection is controlled.

Anxiety and rapid breathing is one of the known causes of chest pain, probably due to exertion of the respiratory muscles, hyperventilation effect, indigestion and nerve pain. In this case the pain is usually felt as pressure inside the chest that radiate to the neck and shoulders all around the sides and the back. And is sometimes associated with the feeling of numbness around lips and hands. In this case all what would help you is to lie down, relax and try to slow the rate of breathing. Breathing also inside a bag kept loosely around nose and mouth would improve the symptoms.
I should emphasize that this diagnosis is made primarily after exclusion of all other causes of chest pain by careful history taking and physical examination by your physician, in addition to all the required investigations.
I advise you to keep on follow up with your consultant and inform him with any change in your condition, by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|