Question: 19 with chest pain

johnny34 - Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:48 pm

I am 19 years old. I have been having chest pain in my left side and my back for a over 6 months. It will hurt for a minute and then just quit. It hurts when i wake up in the morning also. I had an ekg done about 2 years ago when they thought i had a heart murmur, but it the ekg said i was fine. I went back to the doctor recently and he said i had pericarditis. I took advil a couple of times and it didnt hurt while i took it. Then when i wasnt taking advil it would hurt. I have a small cyst in the left side of my neck that has been there for 5 years. Does it have anything to do with this chest pain? Any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:34 am

User avatar Dear johnny34,
Pericarditis mostly seen in young people is due to viral infections. Bacterial infection or idiopathic( without a known cause) are other causes for percarditis.
Pericarditis can develop in patients with autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
Individuals suffer from pericarditis present with a sharp chest pain that is felt below the breastbone (sternum), below the ribs on the left side of the chest and can radiate to the shoulder region or the neck. Pain is aggravated with breathing and in recumbent position, to the contrary, leaning forward or being supine decrease the severity of the pain
The diagnosis is easily made by physical examination, auscultation of the heart which shows a characteristic rub. ECG gives characteristic elevated ST segment in all leads.
Echo cardiograph should also be done to see the extent of affection.
Other blood tests are done to check for the possible causes especially in recurrent cases.
Mild pericarditis can recover spontaneously with bed rest and nutritional support, while specific causes need to be treated accordingly. In most of cases NSAID like ibuprofen can help fasten the improvement of symptoms.
I advise you to keep on follow up with your consultant and to discuss with him the possible causes of this recurrent chest pain, and the pericardits he has diagnosed.
Regarding the neck cyst , more informations about the exact anatomical location, the size and the pathological diagnosis (if any) would help to understand if it contributes to your complaints, however I assume that if it was of significance, your doctor would have investigated it more.
Best regrades,

|