Question: hurt when breathing

bermejo02 - Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:51 pm

i am 15 years old and sometimes, but not often, i get a sharp pain in my side when i breathe a deep breath. It feels like something if stabbing me in my side. I would like to know what it is, and why it happens, if possible.

bermejo02
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:31 am

User avatar Hi!

One of the commonest causes of a central chest pain is called the precordial catch. It is of benign nature, and is momentary and relieved by a few deep breaths.

Do you have fever/cough/sputum/blood in sputum/ pain on touching the area of the chest?

bill
 bermejo02 - Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:38 am

No, nothing happens but the pain. When I take deep breaths, it hurts even more!
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:39 am

User avatar Hi!

Which side of your chest do you have this pain?

Pleuritis could cause such pain. Pleuritis is the inflammation of the lung covering, which can be due to infections. Do you smoke/weed? If so, cessation of it would be the first step. Advil thrice a day after food should help such pains.

Does this pain increase when you run or change with food intake?

bill

|