News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: lumps under nipples

help22 - Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:14 pm

Hello I am a 23 year old male. I have hard lumps under both my nipples. I have had them there for a long time, since I hit puberty. I have been told that this is a commen thing with males but has not gone away. I have noticed that the lumps have gotten longer towards my arms. I don't know how long ago they starting getting bigger. It still hard and is not any different the the orignal lump. What do I do
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:13 pm

User avatar Dear help22,

During Puberty, many dramatic changes take place in the body.
Many adolescents during sexual maturity develop gynecomastia which is a true mammary breast tissue is formed and felt as a swelling under the nipple.

The lumps are felt as firm swelling under the nipple which may be painful and tender if they grow rapidly. The condition is known to run in families.
They usually regress spontaneously. Steroid hormones (as used in asthmatics) and other drugs can increase the size of the breast tissue.

In any case clinical examination is very essential for differential diagnosis of any palpable mass especially if the associated symptoms are not indicative of any possible diagnosis.

I advise you to be examined by a doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here