Question: Chest pressure, headaches, warm sensations and dizziness

cowboytroy - Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi, I'm a 35 year old male and i believe that i'm in good shape. I lift weights 4 to 5 days a week and also do cardio.
Approx. 3 weeks ago is started getting a pressure in my chest and that went on for about a week then one day, while at work i got up out of the chair and this light headness, warm sensation across my upper body and shortness of breath happened.
I went straight to the ER and they put me on an EKG and blood pressure monitor. EKG reading was fine and blood pressure wasnt high but went down after i calmed down. They sent me home. Two days later samething, went back to the ER and this time my DR. admitted me for 3 days. I had a catscan, ECG, stress test, vaulve sonigram done. Cardioligist said there was nothing wrong with my heart. 2 days later had another attack, went back to the ER. Dr. was there and proscribed Paxil and believes that it might be a panic attacks. Went home and that night had a reaction to the paxil so i couldnt take it. 2 days later another episode. This time the ER Dr. prescribed xanax. Took it and kills my sense but doesnt stop the feelings, seems to make them worse. Cant take xanax anymore don't like the feeling. Chest pressure remains and i get bad headaches. Can this really be panic attacks? Does the feeling last all day long? My Dr. has prescribed me Wellbutron XL now and i took it today without any side effects so far. Also throughout the day i catch myself having to take deep breaths. I've done alot of reading on here and trying to figureout what might be going on but i'm at a loss.
Any help would be greatly appreciatied.
Thanks :roll:
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:16 am

User avatar Chest pain, tightness, Difficulty breathing and headache are common symptoms of Anxiety and panic attacks.
Different studies have provided a relationship between psychological conditions, like high anxiety and life stress, with chest pain especially in females. It is also believed that women with chest pain and are known to have anxiety disorders are less likely to be of Coronary heart disease.
And that is why females with prior history of Anxiety disorder, referred for coronary angiography due chest symptoms are more likely to give negative results. However, in any case of chest pain with a possibility of coronary heart disease, at least an ECG during the attack should be done to rule out the diagnosis. In addition other investigations and lab tests are requested according to the physician recommendation after careful history and physical examination. If the exercise ECG is negative a nuclear scan (using thallium) can be given intravenously during exercise treadmill tests. This would allow imaging of blood flow to different parts of the heart. Stress echocardiography in which echocardiography (ultrasound) is used while the exercise treadmill test is being done, is of similar accuracy to Nuclear scan in the diagnosis of coronary heart disease.
I think your doctor has requested different investigations to rule out the Coronary heart disease, you mentioned also that your blood pressure went back to normal when you calm down.
However, I advise you to be on follow up with your consultant, and to inform him with any change in the frequency or the nature of this pain. he can recommend you either to repeat or to do more investigations accordingly.

|