Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pneumonia or Bronchitis?

crivers - Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:07 pm

My husband has been sick since last Thursday with fever, cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath. I took him to a Prompt Care clinic on Saturday and he was diagnosed with bronchitis. He started Cipro that day but had an allergic reaction so started a Z-pack on Monday. He was also prescribed Duraphen II DM.

It has been a week now and he's not getting any better. He has been bedridden since last Thursday except for the trip to the doctor. His temperature has been over 100 and closer to 101 every day since that time. At night, it goes over 102, with 103 being the highest the night before last. He is taking Tylenol, but it is not helping. His breathing is very labored if he gets up and moves around or talks. His cough keeps him up all night. The mucus he coughs up is very thick and yellow, sometimes brown. He also has diarrhea and no appetite.

He called the Prompt Care center today and they told him to keep taking Tylenol. I don't want to make him leave the house if that isn't necessary, but I am concerned that maybe he has been misdiagnosed.

Please advise as to whether I should seek a second opinion.

Thanks.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:50 pm

User avatar If it has been a week with no sign of improvment I would take him back and ask for a chest x ray.That is how pneumonia is diagnosed (or ruled out).

|