News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Pneumonia or Bronchitis?

crivers - Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:07 pm

My husband has been sick since last Thursday with fever, cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath. I took him to a Prompt Care clinic on Saturday and he was diagnosed with bronchitis. He started Cipro that day but had an allergic reaction so started a Z-pack on Monday. He was also prescribed Duraphen II DM.

It has been a week now and he's not getting any better. He has been bedridden since last Thursday except for the trip to the doctor. His temperature has been over 100 and closer to 101 every day since that time. At night, it goes over 102, with 103 being the highest the night before last. He is taking Tylenol, but it is not helping. His breathing is very labored if he gets up and moves around or talks. His cough keeps him up all night. The mucus he coughs up is very thick and yellow, sometimes brown. He also has diarrhea and no appetite.

He called the Prompt Care center today and they told him to keep taking Tylenol. I don't want to make him leave the house if that isn't necessary, but I am concerned that maybe he has been misdiagnosed.

Please advise as to whether I should seek a second opinion.

Thanks.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:50 pm

User avatar If it has been a week with no sign of improvment I would take him back and ask for a chest x ray.That is how pneumonia is diagnosed (or ruled out).

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here