News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: stabbing chest pains

smcleo02 - Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:27 pm

i've been having these chest pains like someone's shocking me with a difibulator (i think that's what it's called). when it happens i get really warm and shortness of breath. i've been having them happen ever since my father died back in 2002. i have had this happen 2 or 3 times within the past month or so. the last time it happened i was sitting up in my seat in my car driving and it hit so hard it set me back in my seat. i had to pull over because i couldn't breathe. i also have been looking online for the past couple weeks since the last time it happened and saw something called spontaneous pneumatothorax. i had MOST of the symptoms but not sure if that is what it was. please help!

thanks,
smcleo02
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:21 pm

User avatar Dear smcleo02,
Since your symptoms have started after losing your father, anxiety is to be considered as a possible cause of your complaints. Anxiety and rapid breathing is one of the known causes of chest pain, probably due to exertion of the respiratory muscles, hyperventilation effect, indigestion and nerve pain. In this case the pain is usually felt as pressure inside the chest that radiate to the neck and shoulders all around the sides and the back. And is sometimes associated with the feeling of numbness around lips and hands. In this case all what would help you is to lie down, relax and try to slow the rate of breathing. Breathing also inside a bag kept loosely around nose and mouth would improve the symptoms. I should emphasize that this diagnosis is made primarily after exclusion of all other causes of chest pain by careful history taking and physical examination by your physician, in addition to all the required investigations.
Spontaneous pneumothorax occurs primarily at rest .The main symptom is dull, stabbing, or sharp chest pain with shortness of breath that occurs suddenly. The pain may be either dull or sharp or stabbing. .
Spontaneous pneumothorax occurs usually in smokers. The diagnosis can be done by physical examination and Chest X-ray.
I advise you to keep on follow up with your consultant and inform him with any change in your condition, by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here