Question: Chest pain center of chest and below ribs. HELP!! any info.

atomheartmother - Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Well here is my situation any help anyone can offer at this point would be soo appreciated as this is ruining my way of life and has so for a while now.
Anyways heres my info:
30 year old male
non smoker
mild drinker
father of 2
unemployed
history of anxiety (at least thats what the doctors keep telling me)
not very active anymore

Well about 2 months ago I was watching television and all of a sudden I had a sharp jolting pain in my upper left part of my chest. It felt like a pinch but only lasted 1 thrust then stopped.
I did not panic and thought little of it. Well a few days later again the pain happened again. This time it was followed by dizziness, sweating, nausea, hands tingling almost burning well...anxiety. So not having insurance and from my past experiences of running to the ER and being told its "anxiety" I let it go. Well a few days later at night things progressed a bit and I started hyper ventilating so I felt it was time to see my Doctor.
I go to my doctor and he does the throat, eyes, blood pressure, you know the basics and looks at me and says I have 2 ribs out of place. So he minipulates me and says he has put them back in place.But he does not do any X-Rays???
Next day I feel much better HUGE DIFFERENCE this lasts about 7 days then one day I started sneezing and sure enough I had the tighteness in my chest and pain again? I returned to my doctor only he was not there and another doctor at his practice had to see me, he spends all of 10 minutes lokking at me and says I have a cold and he is gonna "relieve some pressure on my ribs" So he has me hold a pillow lay on my side then he crunches me in a way like he is trying to manipulate me also but I have never had it done this way.
Well heres where my new pain comes in since this I have been to my doctor 4 times in a month he just now did a EKG as I felt I had to be having a heart attack as this pain is persistant, it came back fine. He still has done NO X-Rays or blood work. He just manipulates me eack visit and it does relieve m pian for a few days but sure enough it comes right back!!! So heres the ppain I am having that is ruining my way of life seriously!
When standing there is very little if any pain at all
When sitting in a chair or in the car or such severe pain in the center of my chest along my sternum to the bottom of my rib cage
Pain feels like it is under my ribcage almost on my stomach are also
Pain is unbearable when laying on my back or sitting unless I lean forward???
I can see muscle contractions around my stomach I believe when the pain hits
Pain seems to occur when I breath completely out and at the second I am taking air back in ( reminds me of driving in a car and going over a hill and you "loose" your stomach? Only very painful like a cramp
Please if anyone has an idea please help as this is really causing me to go through a living nightmare I cant sit...I cant lay on my back only on my side (and it normally does not hurt when laying on my side at all)
 atomheartmother - Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:28 pm

Ohh also:
age: 30
Sex: Male
Weight: 150
Height: 5' 7"
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:18 pm

pleurisy?
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:26 pm

actually, I feel like I'm starting to feel like your already are.......and my pain is now in my chest, around stomack slightly, just all around feel craped and I take shallow breaths I don't know anymore, also read more of what I posted on another forum below

as long as you haven't just gotten done with heavy exercise or something and got a stitch from it.................I feel the same as you castanza. same pain and occurance as you say. Have had ultrasound for liver gallbladder, blood work, check xray, abdominal to lower chest CT scan, and Colonoscopy. No for sure answers yet but ct scan shows hyperexpanded lungs......I do have some Chest pain but not like the constant dragging and annoying pain on lower right rip cage front to back area. Tried celebrex for anti inflamatory, Albuterol inhalers for Asthma......still have the right side pain. shouldn't be a stitch if constantly there right? what about Pleurisy? What about collapsed lower lung........or maybe the hyperexpanded lung is pushing on the lower abdominal wall and also putting pressure on liver. Now, I have my beer too, but I'm only 28.....don't drink hard alcohol. Cirrhosis out?, liver size came up normal on ct scan. I think its Pleurisy, but damn doctor just prescribed the inhaler again. I have been a smoker......and no haven't officially stopped so then the pain must be blamed on smoking right? other smokers don't have this pain......not at 28. I've stopped smoking before for 3 months.....pain still there but actually was lessened. eating food actually does make it better. Gastritis?(sp) I think expanded lung, causing Pleurisy......lupus? if I put pressure on the spots that hurt or sort of give myself a bear hug, the pain seems to go away abit mostly for lower right pain but no so much the chest pain. I'm so sick of it by now, over 2 years of feeling the pain, hasn't really gotten awhole lot worse and not better. Any thoughts by anyone? maybe it is musclosketal but for some reason I doubt it.
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:27 pm

I meant to say cramped instead of craped.
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

maybe it is muscloskeletal or something like that? what I mean is, if pushing on the ribs seems to help, maybe there is something wrong there like......don't the rib bones have musle or cartalidge(sp) between?.....ahhh, shot in the dark. Arthritis of the ribs. I'm stretching for answers myself because I've had a similar pain for over 2 years started in lower right rib cage area and has progressed. A hernia on me probably would have shown up on CT. I too am starting to get fast paced breathing to where I feel I could start to pass out or like I'm panicking/anxious and my heart rate increases. Then the doctors say I have anxiety......and ok I do, I don't take medicines for it but how could that explain right side pain and chest pain. You don't smoke, I do. but either person can develop pleurisy simply by infection. I'm going for another regular chest xray in an hour to see more about the progressing chest pain and also see more about lower right rib cage. Sometimes I feel there will never be a solution and every just thinks its in my head.
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:50 pm

maybe I do have way too high anxiety.......and yes I do feel like I could just keel over at any time.....heart just stop or just stop breathing. I'm going to search abit more down the avenue of pleurisy........but I just said that to a new doctor two hours ago and he wanted to prescribe an inhaler aswell for asthma, just doesn't seem to help though.
 atomheartmother - Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:27 pm

Man I wish you all the luck man, I have been suffering for years with what the doctors want to call "anxiety" I do realize that when I am unwell I become anxious as it is scary to be honest... and even more so when I know something is wrong yet every doctor I go to says.. "ohh your fine" or sometimes " you have a sinus infection" then I go the next day to another doctor and they say "noo you don't have a sinus infection its your ribs?"
Its like how can I get a straight answer?? And then at this point I worry that my doctor actually caused me damage as I never had a chest pain like this ever, they manipulated me 4 times in 2 weeks and now I am in such pain that I could not even sleep last night what so ever. Its a nightmare, I feel very desperate and dpressed at this point. thanks for all your help!!
 bt242 - Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:53 pm

well, scratch the chest xray, the doctor I went to had to outsource my xray and by doing so now I have to pay for the xray since its out of network, humana insurance is bogus. I guess I'll go back to my first doctor on Monday who does have a chest xray machine in his office and that would be covered 100% by insurance. He'll probably tell me the same thing though. I just question how to test for possible pleurisy......googling says it can go away and come back and only really go away if underlying infection is treated or other cause for the pleurisy like growths and such. In anycase if not treated then could cause permanent damage and pain. Scary. I already seem to have some pretty premanent pains in the right side to mid chest. Must be inflamation. So I'm supposed to assume no smoking will stop this, but you don't smoke you said. Who knows, maybe we do have entirely different situations but sure do sound similar as do the others posted. Best of luck to you aswell and let me know of any miracle fixes or causes you may find for yourself and possibly could help mine.
 atomheartmother - Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Hello yes trust me if a miracle is found for me or any info what so ever I will boast it everywhere on the web to hopefully help anyone dealing with this mess. It has been a nightmare.
 rtsaver - Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:03 pm

Costochondritis in Fibromyalgia? or just type Costochondritis in google. http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fi ... ptoms.html

says really mostly for women but?......just throwing possibilities in the air. ;)
 rtsaver - Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:55 pm

this is bt242, I got booted for too much rant and rave I guess. Anyways, had another chest to upper abdomin xray and doctor said everything seemed fine, nothing seen unusual. So, then he also said maybe the pains and chest and lower right rib cage area really are muscularskeletal ......meaning, maybe I am abit too anxious and uptight, maybe I tend to suck in alot in my stomach, maybe I lift too many heavy things at work and maybe I need a swedish message. He then also did the arms crossed with weight on my chest to pop something in that lower right area in back. Seems somewhat relieved but not entirely. Maybe I'm just getting old, not enough stretching and exercise.........and told me to try Ibuprofen of course. Heck with it I guess. Who knows........
 atomheartmother - Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:37 am

Well I am goingto the docs today for some testing (hopefully if hes available) if not the ER and gonna get this thing figured out I am tired of waiting! We'll see if finally I can get some answers!!
 fasteddie155 - Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:06 am

did you ever find the answer please ?
 hiixxcutefacexx - Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:17 pm

im 14 and i was just in the ER last night because of stabbing pains in my chest and right under my left ribs. it got so bad to the point where i was crying. it hurts bad when i stand up. it feels better when im laying down curled up in a ball.
any ideas?
 kassandra - Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi I am a 36 year old female and for the past week I have had this cramping pain under my lower left rib cage and it goes to my back. It feels like I drank a gallon of water and then ran for 3 miles. It hurts when I take a deep breath, when I go to bed, when I yawn, when I walk or stretch. Does ANYONE know what it could be? Its hard to sleep at night because I cant find a comfortable position. Im out of town on buisness and wont get home till next week to see my doctor, I hope!
 star_22 - Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm

im a 16 year old female and i also have this problem.
my doctor has recently told me that i have anxiety and i get regular chest pains but today i have had a really bad/cramp like pain under my chest inbetween my ribs. it is effecting everything i do as its painful when i move or even sit still and i don't know what to do either, its even making me cry it hurts that bad! ive been to my doctor serveral times and they cant seem to find whats wrong so i guess im just stuck with this pain?
if you find out what is causing your pain i would appreciate it if you could tell me.
thanks& i hope you get better. x

|