Question: Wheezing and chest pain

NikkyLeClair - Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:16 am

Hi, I am a 24 year old female with a history of what has been very mild asthma. I am on QVar 40mcg BID. I had a cold about four weeks ago and since then I have been experiencing intermittent wheezing on the right side of my upper chest. There really isn't much that triggers it, but with the wheezing I ultimately start a coughing fit. My question is, does this sound like an asthma symptom or something else. I do also have sharp chest pains on that side but I have attributed that to musculoskeletal discomfort. Albuterol helps in the shorterm, but the wheezing does come back. Thanks for your help
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:04 am

User avatar Dear NikkyLeClair,
Asthma is an inflammatory process in the respiratory airway. The inflammation results in spasm of the muscles of the bronchial way with swollen cells in the airway lining, as a sequence narrowing of the respiratory tract and decreased airflow.

Symptoms of asthma include, wheezing, cough with or without sputum (phlegm), and Chronic shortness of breath that is aggravated with exercises and mandate the us of accessory respiratory muscles.
Asthma symptoms can be initiated or aggravated after an attack chest infection including a common cold. Being asthmatic is a predisposing factor for repeated chest infection especially if you are a sensitive person. For the pain you experience, more details about the character of this pain would give a better idea about the possible cause, e.g. if this pain is related to cough and deep breath , it is more likely to be due to inflammation of the pleura covering the lung a condition known as pleurisy, if it is tender it is probably a muscle pain, which could be a sequence of the asthma.
You have these symptoms for almost 4 weeks, which means you are not receiving the proper medications, so I advise you to consult your doctor. Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest is of great help in the diagnosis. Chest x-ray may also be needed accordingly.

|