Question: Throbbing heart beat pain while jogging

texanpride - Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Sometimes when I jog I get a throbbing pain thats coordinated with my heartbeat on the way right side of my chest up just under my collarbone near the shoulder, in that little space (almost like a pit) right above the chest muscles. Im 22 and in fairly good shape. Anything I should be worried about?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:50 pm

User avatar Dear texanpride,
Contraction and expansion of the arterial wall as a result of changes in the blood flow with cardiac contraction and relaxation is what we feel as the pulse .
Physical Exercise results in changes in the cardiac activity.
Both cardiac contractility and the heart rate are increased. Normally we are not aware by these changes. But with exercise when the contraction and the heart rate is increased sometimes this is felt as throbbing sensation in the upper chest or neck. The reason behind is the fact that a large amount of blood is pushed in the upper chest and neck vessels, which is sometimes felt as throbbing or pain and headache.
However, it increases in certain condition e.g. if you did not practice exercise for long time, or if you have anemia.
So I advise you if the condition is repeated to be checked by your doctor to rule out any pathological causes.

|