Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Pulmonary Lung Disease

mewgirl - Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:10 pm

I have a friend with Pulmonary Lung Disease. He has told me he has been told to quit smoking, or he will die in 5 years. I have tried to "force" him down to two cigarettes a day (one in the morning when he wakes up +1), but unsuccessfully so. He also lies a lot to fit in and be accepted, so I do not even know if he was telling em the truth the day he said he only smoked half a cigarette that day.

You did not need to know all that. But he tells me smoking marijuana is okay and will not further this disease. This does not make sense to me. I would expect that smoking ANYTHING will help burn away the lining of the lung. I am not intrested in other health claims about marijuana. I simply want to know if smoking marijuana does, in fact, affect this disease, and to what extent and how.

Thank you.
 CrohnieToo - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:07 pm

I can see the twinkle in my doctor's eye as he said: If God intended us to smoke he would have put chimneys in our head.

As you suspect just the extremely hot air being drawn into the lungs does damage to the cilia and delicate lung tissue. No need to go into the various chemicals and toxins being produced by any substance or object being burned whether paper, tobacco, marijuana, etc.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:12 pm

User avatar Hello mewgirl -

Most heavy smokers eventually will develop cronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and these people's lungs and bronchi are then damaged pretty much permanently. If the process is arrested and smoking absolutely stopped before too much damage is done, sometimes they can remain stable and live out fairly normal lifespans (but with greatly diminished pulmonary function of course). There are a few hospitals in the US which have pulmonary rehab programs, similar to cardiac rehab programs (but much longer lasting) and they have yielded some improvement in lung function in some patients.

As for marijuana smoking, all normal situations aside (including medical use), it is still smoking and contains the by-products of combustion, even if not the exact same ones as tobacco, and it will irritate the respiratory tract and worsen the COPD. There can be no disputing this fact.

While it is impossible to say in precise terms how long a person with a serious illness will survive, it can be less time as well as more than the prediction, but it is certain your friend's normal lifespan will be shortened by COPD unless it is treated aggressively and all smoking is stopped.
 bwaha - Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 pm

I am of the understanding,as of late,, smoking cannabis contributes to Vanishing Lung Disease,,Apparently smokers of such drugs hold the smoke in their lungs four times longer than a normal cigarette smoker.....Im no DR just what i read.....

|