Question: Chronic, unexplained lung pain, please help.

CCCP - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:24 pm

I am a 23 y/o female, nonsmoker, with no past medical problems. In March 2005 I developed a dull chest pain just to the right of my sternum. When it didn't go away within several hours I went to the ER. An EKG and chest Xray were performed, doctor said both looked good and it was most likely Pleurisy. He gave me a 6 day course of steroids and a mild painkiller.
I took both medicines to completion with no alleviation of my symptoms. I followed up with my family doctor who gave me a strong anti-inflammatory and told me sometimes Pleurisy can take time. To make it short, the pain never went away. I doubt it is Pleurisy, because the pain is very uncharacteristic. It is throughout both lungs, from chest to back, and it present at least for a moment everyday, if not hours. It seems to have remissions where it is barely present, then will come back. The pain ranges from a 1 to about a 6 at it's worst. Sometimes it is burning (usually when laying on my back), sometimes stabbing, sometimes a cramping sensation. It does not improve or get worse upon inhale or exhale, and I have no hemoptysis.
I went to another doctor two months ago for a follow-up. She did a peak flow test since she said my lungs don't sound like they are moving air well. The result was average, she said. Another CXR was performed, and it was clear. She also did Xrays of my C-spine and T-spine to rule out an orthopedic problem. The C-spine xray shows straightening of my neck. She sent me to physical therapy for this, but the therapist told me they couldn't help me, as my problem wasn't caused by the straightening of my neck. The therapist also did manual tests to check for nerve compression and found none.
Please help me, I don't know what else to do. I don't have insurance, which is why doctors visits are few and far between. Any suggestions about what this could be? Thanks in advance.
 CCCP - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:30 pm

Sorry for the additional post, but I want to add that I was never sick before the pain started. The doctors have all asked if I had pneumonia or bronchitis (or anything else), and the answer is no. That makes this even more perplexing!

Also, it may be unrelated, but I have been having frequent muscle spasms that are painless for the past several months as well. Thanks again!

|