Question: Can an EKG miss a any heart problems?

GenericName - Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:05 am

20 M, with no previous health issues..

about a month ago i went to a hospital because of chest pain and shortness of breath..

i got an EKG, and i had some thing put on my finger while getting a blood pressure test that they said meant i was getting enough oxygen, i got a chest X-ray which they said was normal...

i was discharged with the explination of "musculoskeletal"

they implied that there was most likely no problem with my breathing, but i pressed them to tell me if a muscle problem could cause that and i believe i was told "if it was torn"

i thought i was recovering but in the last 4 days it has gotten bad again, and ive been having trouble falling asleep, the pain has returned as well (it is completley isolated to the left side of the chest, right by the heart, i actually thought it was either a clogged artery or a collapsed lung at first but i have no reference point for either)

is it normal to have trouble breathing form a musculoskeletal thing?

the pain killers seem to have lost effectivness, but ive been taking them for like a month and a half, so maybee i just became less effective

i have been getting light headed, but this may be due to the way i breathe when i feel it is diffucult (i almost end up hyperventalating)

latley i have noticed that if i force myself to breathe through the nose only i don't seem to get as light headed

i smoked up untill two days after i got home from the hospital, and i have quit due to the difficulty i have breathing, i no longer need ciggarettes, i do however smoke a little weed when the pain gets real bad, and this seems to make the breathing thing a little more difficult..

is it possible that my chest is so fatigued from making up for the injured muscle that it is hard to breathe?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 am

User avatar Hi GenericName,
Muscular pain can certainly mimic chest pain and interfere with breathing due to the pain itself. EKG's can detect abnormal rhythms, etc. but generally speaking when identifying if a cardiac origin is present, the tests completed over all is gathered to achieve the diagnostic picture. The device placed on your finger was a pulse oximeter and would identify levels oxygen saturation to determine if there was a suspected problem. Musculoskelatal pain is often treated with NSAID'S providing there are no contraindications to their use.

|