Question: Morning Chest Pains

Binarymolecule - Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Hello, I am 22 yrs old / male and I have had chest pains before but they usually go away with in a day or so (usually from sleeping wrong and pulling a muscle). However recently (past week or so) every morning my back/ right side of my chest has been hurting it soon goes away after I take a shower. On my mothers side heart attacks run in the family however the left side of my chest is fine. I was wondering if you might know if it is just a pulled muscle again (and since I am getting older it just takes a bit longer to get better) or if I should seriously considering visiting a doctor.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:37 pm

User avatar Dear Binarymolecule,

First of all I would like to calm you down and to say that it is very unlikely for this type of pain to be of heart origin. Angina pain is usually felt as Crushing pain in the middle of your chest, squeezing pain in the chest or left upper arm that is associated with sweating or shortness of breath

Is this pain associated with any tenderness, in another meaning does it hurt you when you press on he place where you experience this pain or any area around? Is it increases when you are exposed to cold air? Is it associated with certain movements? If it is associated with any of these signs, it is probably a myoskeletal pain. Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation are common causes for chest pain.
You have mentioned that you get the pain after you sleep in a wrong position or muscle abuse, this means that muscle spasm is more likely to be the cause of your symptoms.
If your symptoms are clearly associated with muscle overuse or wrong use(spasm) , then you just need to be more careful to maintain right postures and to do exercise to strength them. If the symptoms didn’t improve after you have been very conservative or they are getting worse, then better be checked quickly by your consultant.

|