News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest pressure, cough, more...

nelly145 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I am 20 years old, female, do not smoke. For about 3 months, on and off, I have been having strange chest and throat symptoms. There is a pressure and soreness in my chest, if i even lay a hand of my chest it feels so much pressure like someone is sitting on it. I feel as though i cannot take a satisfying deep breath. I always have to urge to cough and clear my throat and "hawk" up mucus, it rarely subsides during the day. The mucus is usually clear or light yellow, but occasionally a larger chunk of darker yellow/tan will come up. I have also noticed at times my chest up through my neck/throat feel really hot inside, like my breath is really hot or something. Also I get a high heart rate at times and it feels irregular at times, too. Sometimes I get this all day and night, other times just for a 1/2 hr. to a few hours a day. For some reason I have this fear of pulmonary embolism due to having a high d-dimer. Would symptoms of PE come and go though or would they remain constant or get worse? Any other ideas on this? thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 24, 2006 5:44 am

User avatar Hi nelly145,
A productive cough of yellow, or green colored sputum usually indicates a respiratory infection. I certainly hope that you have had an evaluation by your physician. Symptoms of a Pulmonary Embolism would typically remain constant and actually worsen and may be life threatening if left untreated. Your symptoms, in my opinion, would not be a likely picture of a PE but would be more indicative of a respiratory infection.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here