News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest Pains - normal?

buffamic - Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:36 pm

I am a healthy (or at least I think) 22 year old female. Drink occassionally, no drugs, no smoking, eat healthy, etc. For about a year or so now, I have noticed that I get these sharp chest pains on the left side/center, mostly the left side. Sometimes it's a bit duller, other times it's very sharp and scares me. There is a large history of heart disease in my family, so i guess I've been scared to tell anyone and/or go see my doctor. Sometimes it's daily, or it is as little as once a week. Sometimes it's lengthy, often, or other times it's short. I have noticed too that it often wakes me up in the middle of the night or the morning, and I just have to lay there. Is this 'normal?" Or is there something serious I should be scared about? I guess I just don't know...I feel like I shouldn't be having any problems like this, I'm a young, healthy 22 year old. But, the pains do scare me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:49 am

User avatar Hi buffamic,
Any chest pain of course should be evaluated by a physician to rule out a cardiac origin. However, there are conditions related to noncardiac chest pain, ie, stress and anxiety, conditions related to nearby organs such as the esophagus, stomach (GERD).I would encourage you to have an evaluation to identify the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here