Question: 17/f with dull chest pain when swallowing

meggy06 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:46 am

feb 27 i came home from work at 11 at night with a huge headache and stomach ache. i didn't eat anything for about 9 hours and was too tired to eat. i ended up puking up some coke i drank before i went to bed, and thought i'd just sleep it off my headache.
well about 5:45 that morning, my dogs started barking. so i woke up, walked to my window and yelled at them. i was about to go back to sleep but i was thirsty so i took a big gulp of the big red sitting on my nightstand.
and the weirdest thing happened. it seemed like my chest locked up and i couldn't swallow. i tried several times to swallow but the pain in my chest was so intense i could barely do it. and as this was all happening, i lost my hearing. i also felt extremely hot all of a sudden and broke into a sweat. the pains continued as i stumbled to the bathroom and splashed my face with water. i felt better after that and layed back down.
i figured that would be the end of it and once i ate something i would be ok, but currently, i am still having the pain in my chest whenever i swallow. and honestly, i am scared to death over wondering what is wrong with me. thanks for any help anyone can give me.

1. Age: 17
2. Sex: female
3. Past diagnoses: i had mono about 3 months ago?
4. Past surgeries: i had my tonsils and adenoids taken out when i was 6
5. Family history: my mom had kidney failure and a kidney transplant
6. Current Medications: none. but i thought i should mention that i do smoke. could that be the problem?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:54 am

User avatar Hi meggy06,
Many conditions may produce symptoms of difficulty swallowing and accompanying chest discomfort including, anxiety, stress, gerd, etc. etc. Smoking, also is an irritant. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor and if an underlying disorder is present appropriate inteventions can be initiated.

|