Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Lumps in Neck, Chest infection, Low peak flow, given Inhaler

kermit1001 - Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:47 am

Hi, I am 31 and female, in october 2005 I was getting alot of earache and feeling sick, after two weeks I saw a dr who gave me eardrops but within a couple of days I developed a lump in my salivery gland and was prescribed erythromicin which did nothing the lump hurts alot and causes me great pain through constant earache, nothing was being done and I saw a dentist who ruled out that there was nothing wrong with my teeth and did an xray where there was a possible tumor, I saw a specialist at the hospital who thinks that I may have sialendentis and I had a sialogram which I have not had the result of yet in the mean time I have suffered from virus after virus and in december had a chest infection which I had a course of 250 antiobiotics but two weeks later it was still giving me grief so I was prescribed a stronger dose of Antibiotics it is now feb 06 and I still have a bad chest with a peak flow reading of 350, for my height and age it should be 465, in all this time I have had a chest xray that came back clear blood tests that came back clear not showing any sign of infection, I still have the lump and also aswollen Lymph node on the right side the same side as the lump, obviously with all these tests being done it is extremely frustrating that for 5 months I have been feeling extremely ill and in constant pain but nothing can be found. In the last two years I have suffered from quite a few viruses, pluerisy, viral meningitis laryingitis and vertigo, all of it has been in the same area that I am suffering from now, but again even my immune system showed up that it was ok, I also have raynauds, any advice or ideas would be a huge help to me right now thanks now in march, I have a third and fourth lump growing on the right side. Drs that I see now would rather say that its another virus or that its all in my head as they can find nothing to explain why, they have given me an inhaler ventolin which has given me a cough and a sore throat, please advise me. what are possible causes of all of this. A few days ago I had an episode of hyperventilating, first time this had happened to me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 01, 2006 6:12 am

User avatar Hi kermit1001,
Ventolin inhalers are brochodialators which work in relaxing the the airway for improvement of breathing. However, sometimes streroid based inhalers cause secondary infections (fungal) in which there will be white patches in the mouth and throat and typically makes your mouth and throat sore. If this is present notify your physician for treatment. Also, If you were not instructed to rinse your mouth and drink some water after use you should be doing so. Now for the lymph node enlargement, if these areas are continuing to enlarge (nodal enlargement on serial examinations is significant) and have been treated unsuccessfully with antibiotic therapy, further diagnostics should be completed by, ie, ultrasound or CT Scan and I would encourage you to discuss this with your physician.
 kermit1001 - Mon May 01, 2006 8:07 am

Many thanks for your response, This has been going on for sometime, and I have seen many Dr's and at present none seem to be worried or taking me very seriously. The specialist that I have been seeing is talking about removing my salivery gland although he has given me jaw exercises to do first. One of my lymph glands that is more enlarged than the other has been up for over two months and can now be seen plainly by other people. I really am at a loss as I keep letting them know that it is larger but no-one has even bothered to test it or x-ray it, It seems that because I'm not losing weight they just assume that it isn't serious and that I can be left in pain, which i s why I came onto this forum, I just don't know what else to do. I do appreciate your time though. k
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 01, 2006 8:29 am

User avatar Hi kermit1001,
Is the specialist in which you are being evaluated by, an ENT? If not that is the type of specialist in which should be providing the evaluation.
 kermit1001 - Mon May 01, 2006 8:56 am

Hi, I briefly saw a doctor from ENT but I am being seen by a speciialist from the oral and maxillo facial dept. But he doesn't belief that the earache I have been suffering with is related to the swollen salivery gland! i know that he knows what he's doing as he has trained for many years to be where he is today, but I just keeping feeling that I know my own body and there is something wrong with it, it is causes me to feel very low, and emotional which then makes me cry alot when talking to drs as they get me all het up, at this point they end up saying about taking amitriptyline to help, which I feel is only being prescribed because of me getting emotional not because of the pain which is what they try to say its for I have been like this for 6 months in total its only in the last two months that they have tried to prescribed anti depressents and thats because that is when the second lump came up and when the local dr told me it was yet another virus I cried so he put in my notes that i had psychological problems. Sorry you only asked if It was ENT i was seeing. k

|