Question: Breathing troubles, out of nowhere

turtlesti - Fri May 12, 2006 1:01 am

I just arrived in Thailand on May 2(in Bangkok). After about 12 hours after my arrival I started having this weird sensation in my nose, throat, and tongue. It sorta felt like when you cough or laugh when you're trying to swallow liquid and you get some in your nose, that wierd annoying feeling in the back of your mouth. Also felt mild numbing in the my tongue, and a bit of a sore throat, but I've never really had a sore throat like this before. And it was on the right side of my mouth only. A day later I flew to Chang Rai, a considerable distance from Bangkok. I had a bit of relief but mostly it has been constant now. And it seems to be all over now, not just the right side. My throat sometimes feels weird like I have mucus in it but theres nothing to cough up. And it constantly feels like there something hindering my nasal breathing from the back of my throat. It is very weird and hard to explain because I have never had something like this before. Basically the whole thing makes me feel like my breathing is actually being hindered and sometimes it feels like my throat is swollen and that I am having trouble swallowing. I've tried Halls Lozenges but it virtually does nothing.

I was living in Victoria, Canada before I left. I don't smoke.

Is it something in the air? Allergies? It's weird, because I feel stuffy but its almost like theres nothing actually clogging me up.

Is it the elevation?(Chang Rai, I believe to be quite a bit higher than Victoria)

To be honest, it does concern me because I feel like at anytime it could get worse and I could start having serious breathing troubles. I wont be back into Canada until June 27.

I have also been experiencing some mild chest pains on the left side. Short duration, only a few episodes, but one time it was quite painful.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri May 12, 2006 3:53 pm

User avatar Dear turtlesti,

This might be related to a sinus infection or to a bad case of tonsillitis. Another cause might be acid reflux even though the odds are low. Allergies are also a very good possibility.

i am not aware whether or not some of the Thai food is served raw or semi-raw and whether or not you are eating the thai food. Food might contain some gerns and if not well cooked, the person who eats the food might run the risk of catching certain germs.

i strongly recommend that you see a doctor over there.

If the sore throat does not improve after 3-4 weeks, i recommend that you get a complete blood count to make sure that your white cell count is not low.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

turtlesti - Fri May 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info!

Today, I am feeling different. Now I do have a genuine sore throat and it feels stuffy in my tracea. So it's on the move.
 turtlesti - Thu May 18, 2006 9:48 am

I visited the doctor on Monday. His Thai was hard to understand but he mentioned something about "Early something rather" as his diagnosis. He gave me some general antibiotics and some yellow soft-looking-tylenol-looking pills for fever, but I didn't have a fever, I am to take 3 each a day together with meals. I say "general antibioics" because the doctor gave the same tablets to my friend who lost her voice. Not sure what they are, red and yellow, I Googled that description and Amoxil came up, they basically look like that but with no markings.

As I said, on Friday I started having a mild sore throat, which was new. Saturday, my sore throat still mild but my breathing felt better. Although I did have a short episode where it felt like my throat was swelling up again. Sunday was ok, sore throat seemed a little worse and my breathing actually seemed better. That night my throat got really sore and throughout my sleep I was awoken with a really bad sore throat, I don't remember the last time I had a sore throat like that. So I went to the doc. The pills seemed to work, all around, although my throat still felt a little sore in the mornings this week.

For some reason my breathing did improve last weekend to a good level that I was pleased with, I am stating this because I found my "progress" to be rather odd.

Today however I have not been feeling well. Last night after dinner my (im going to guess tracea) tracea felt a little scratchy like it was starting to close up, kind of like an alergic reaction feel. This breathing problem is different from the others I have been experiencing lately but I'm assuming they are connected. It sortof went away before bed. Today I awoke feeling alright but that mild sensation quickly returned and sorta came and went in 3 parts today. A few hours ago it seemed to get really bad. I wasn't weezing yet but I could tell that's where it was going. I almost decided to call it and head to the hospital but I decided to lie down on my stomach. Odly enough I was feeling better quite quickly. This doesn't make sense to me. What could be causing these troubles of mine that if I were to lie down on my stomach it would help and no longer feel like its getting worse and worse. I am so confused and frustrated.

I should add that the past couple of days I have been experienceing some other symptoms. Frequent urination, a bit of memory problems, (like 2nd guessing myself and trying to remember if I'd done something or not). I should mention that I do have a nervous system disorder... unknown, I've made other posts about it. For a while now its been fairly quiet and constant so I am not terribly quick to point the finger at it. Although frequent urination and memory troubles did bother me at one time. But it could very well just be a cycle, I usually have a few bad days where some of my symtoms return. But the breathing doesn't fit.

One other thing i'd like to add is: I've been noticing some abnormal eye stuff. Like it feels sometimes like I can feel my own eye. Usually one eye at a time. And it feels like something is in my eye, like some cloudy liquid. It's there but not sortof feel. Very weird. But never any pain.

I am going to head to see a doctor tomorrow and maybe an eye doctor as well, I was just hoping to get your opinion on all of this stuff.

Thanks for the read, You have no idea how much I appreciate your time. We all do.
 turtlesti - Thu May 18, 2006 9:54 am

I should probably also add that my legs have been feeling a little weak.... i thought I was just being paranoid but it seems kinda obvious.
 turtlesti - Thu May 18, 2006 9:59 am

I did some further research on Amoxil.

I am not aware of any medicine allergies, however, my father is allergic to penicillin. To my knowledge I have not really been exposed to penicillin so I don't know how I am with it.

Could it be the pills? Even after 2 days of taking them and feeling fine?

turtlesti - Sun May 28, 2006 7:03 am

I decided not to visit the doc because I was feeling better. But that has changed now, please see my new post.
 hahaangela - Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 pm

im having a hard time breathing at times, i have drank in the past a lot and smoked weed, i have stopped though, but i don't know if it may be the reason why i feel this way. i feel stuffed up in the chest area and doesnt feel normal when i breath. i have been having a cough and feel like i was sick for over five months...i don't know whats wrong with me, but i had a mild case of asthma when i was 14 but now im 18
i need to know whats wrong with me, or if im fine...

|